Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2019

More from dahmakan.....yippee ki-yay!

Dah makan?  I makan.....again-lah......from dahmakan! ^_~  Since being a Select member, I had to take advantage of the discounts as much as I could (for a month) and that means having more meals from dahmakan.

Anyway, I was more than happy and satisfied with the meals I had from my second wave of dahmakan meals, so it made sense to try even more meals and repeat those that I love before my membership expires.  Let me share with you what I tried in my third wave.

#1 - Herb Crusted Salmon @ RM35 (my price RM19.90, savings RM15.10)

salmon fillet, mashed potatoes, broccoli & carrot, lemon cream sauce

As the salmon fillet is prepared ahead of time, don't expect the herb crust to be crispy as it won't.  The salmon was cooked all the way through but wasn't too dry with the help of the sauce.

The potato mash was both chunky and smooth similar to the one with the Braised Beef Brisket I had previously.

Again, the texture of the broccoli and carrot was harder than I would have liked (I couldn't eat the carrot). The pic in the menu showed slices of grilled red peppers but there weren't any.

The lemon cream sauce was nice, slightly garlicky and had a refreshing tang to it...but there just wasn't enough of it, especially when the mashed potatoes needed a bit of moisture as well.

#2 - Spicy Tofu with Minced Chicken @ RM14.90 (my price RM9.90, savings RM5)

minced chicken, tofu, white rice, spicy sauce

This dish is very similar to mapo tofu with its firm tofu cubes in minced chicken (there was more meat than tofu, only about 5 rectangle pieces) and a sauce that's made from taucu (a type of salty, preserved bean paste).

Except this spicy sauce isn't spicy at all.  Suitable for those who like to eat their rice with sauce.  Also ideal for kids who can take a little heat in their food.

Actually, the ratio of rice to meat to sauce was just nice but it wouldn't hurt too to throw in a fried egg only if you want to...hehe! ;)

#3 - Beef Rendang Tok @ RM29 (my price RM19.90, savings RM9.10)

beef rendang, brown rice, okra, carrot & radish pickle

I had a similar dish (Tenderloin Rendang Tok) from my first wave of eating food from dahmakan...and I remembered it well as it was the best dish I had then.

This beef rendang tok was tender and full of that lovely traditional rendang flavour.  The portion was particularly filling, there was no necessity to add an egg.  The okra could be more tender, the carrot & radish pickle was nice and crunchy.

Though this beef rendang was very decent, it just wasn't quite as good as the previous version.  The previous one was slightly wetter (which I prefer) and the flavours were well rounded.  This rendang had a bit too much kaffir lime leaves, the taste of which was slightly overpowering.

#4 - Honey Barbecue Chicken @ RM24.90 (my price RM19.90, savings RM5)

chicken thigh, soy ginger rice, broccoli, homemade chilli & ginger dip

The honey barbecue chicken thigh had more flavour than the previous misoyaki roasted chicken thigh. Again, it's another dish with a filling portion.

The soy ginger rice of this one was also the tastiest of all the rice I had so far as this one had the flavour of chicken stock.  The cook on the broccoli was also the most well cooked one by far.

But it was the homemade fresh chilli & ginger dip that stood out the most (the ginger dip was better than the chilli dip).  The dips are like the ones you get from chicken rice & roasted meat stalls, just not as good.

#5 - Thai Red Fish Curry @ RM26.90 (my price RM19.90, savings RM7)

perch fillet with lychee & baby corn, brown rice, okra, thai red curry

The perch fillet chunks were supposedly cooked with lychee and baby corn (unfortunately, I found only one lychee...and no baby corn!).  The sauteed vegetables turned out to be okra and, for once, it wasn't under-cooked like all the previous times.

The Thai red curry didn't taste like a curry but more like a sauce with a much thinner consistency, a bit similar to assam pedas but minus the pedas (spiciness).  It tasted lightly tangy...not to say it wasn't delicious, it was alright.  Because the sauce with the fish was of a more watery consistency, it arrived with a lot of spillage (it spilled out into the paper box).  No choice, I think this one needs to be put in a plastic container with a tight lid.

This dish also turned out to be the smallest in terms of portion (the rice portion was also smaller than usual), so don't choose this one if you have a more ferocious appetite (I wasn't all that full myself but, after a while, I didn't feel hungry and was actually glad that I was forced to exercise portion control).  Between this Thai Red Fish Curry and the earlier Portugese Steamed Fish, I preferred the taste of the latter.

Sometimes when I order more than one meal, my family can share the proteins thereby giving us more variety on our plate of rice.

As much as I've seen some improvements from the last time I ordered from dahmakan to now, these are some of the areas I'd like to see further improvements in the future.

#1 - Prioritise On-time Deliveries

Although I'm appreciative that they've included more delivery time slots now, making ordering food delivery more convenient, it doesn't mean squat if you don't deliver your food on time.

From my experience of the meals I ordered, half of them were late...and two were as late as 40 minutes.  An on-time rate of 50% isn't a number I'd be happy with.  I can excuse maybe a 10-minute delay but more than half an hour isn't acceptable.  This was very apparent if you choose delivery time zones within peak meal times.  So, if you don't want your meal to arrive late, take no risk and make sure you ask for a delivery time zone that's earlier by an hour than the time you intend to have your meal (even if the food may be cold and you may have to reheat but that's at least better than not having your meal arrive at the stipulated time).

I wish they can manage the system better to reject orders when a certain number of orders have been reached for a particular time slot...and make that time slot automatically not available and force customers to choose another time slot instead.  Simply accepting more orders than you can handle for one time slot for the reason of selling as many meals as possible will lead to disappointing your existing customers with late deliveries.

#2 - Provide More Options Other Than Chicken

On a typical day's menu, you'll find chicken featuring as the protein in almost every dish with only about 1 or 2 dishes that's fish or beef.  I'd like to see dahmakan feature more options for fish and beef as well as create new dishes that include seafood like prawns and squid.

#3 - Include a Greater Varieties of Vegetables

From my experience, it's almost always carrot, broccoli (two vegetables that I don't like all that much) and okra (besides corn and tomatoes).  I've only gotten cauliflower once.  I hope to see dahmakan provide a greater variety of vegetables in their meals.  I know not all vegetables can be included because some don't keep well (after cooking) but I'm sure there are more vegetables than these few that do (like long beans, eggplant, french beans, cabbage, etc).

#4 - Relook at Improving the Packaging to Minimise Spillage

I've had some meals where the foil containers arrived with its content spilled.  Some of the foil containers came without the foil covers but even when they did have foil covers, there was still spillage.  This could either be due to the foil containers not closed properly or the delivery riders handling of the food boxes. >_<

#5 - Reduce the Use of Plastics Further

I think this can't be helped especially if the meals are eaten on-the-go or ordered as eat-in by office staff (where no pantry facilities are available).  I do wish that they could give us an option to say no to cutlery during the order process or get their rider to ask if we want cutlery but that may prove too cumbersome logistically for them.

I ended up with so many, I don't know what to do with them (although I recently found out from kyspeaks that I could actually return the cutlery to them, so I shall do that in future).  But we can't be sure what the riders do with the cutlery though, whether they actually return them or just discard them.

The RM29 I paid for a one-month membership, I ate as many as three meals a week (sometimes) from dahmakan, not that I'm complaining, since I didn't have to cook for a month.  I could get used to this...haha! ;)

I won't go as far to say that the food is fantastic (seeing that it's food delivery) but I would say that some were more than decent.

But I think I need to take a short break from dahmakan before I sign up again (lest I get tired of the food + I have lesser choices since chicken isn't my utmost favourite protein, especially if it's chicken breast).  That'll be my course of action as long as the Select membership is available (you can choose to cancel your membership outright or pause it for up to 3 months).  Even if the cashback is no longer on the table, it's still worth paying RM29 (to get the discounted prices of meals) and continue to enjoy eating decent, healthy and portion-controlled meals from dahmakan...my go-to food delivery service! ^.^

Note: Dahmakan has since been rebranded to Pop Meals (in late 2020)

17 comments:

  1. Wow, this is another KK post! It is certainly an eye opener about Dahmakan! I have only heard of their services but you have so kindly shared all the details from the pricing to the food quality menu and all the spillage containers. I must say their packaging is neat and nice like a Scandinavian print.

    My wife was ordering from FoodPanda almost daily when she was too busy. I freaked out when their frequent long waits was so unbearable like 60 minutes with deep apologies. I felt bad for them sometimes but still gave tips. In the end I became the delivery boy and it was faster & piping hot meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, you tip them even if they're late? :O Oh no, you spoil them...but you're very kind to do so. I didn't even know that there are people who tip their food delivery guys (Malaysians aren't used to tipping). P/S: What is a KK post?

      Delete
    2. I know most of my friends and relatives gave me weird stares when I tipped at restaurants or beggars. I believe it came from the compulsory habit in America where tipping is a must-culture otherwise the waiters would freak out. They would not hesitate to point out to the diners.

      Delete
    3. Oic, that's what KK means (you're so creative!)...well, thank you for the compliments then.

      Yeah, that's what I meant...tipping aren't in our culture, that's why you get weird stares from the people here...haha! :D

      Delete
  2. love their super atas airplane food :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airplane food.....but on the ground...hihihi! ;D

      Delete
  3. adding on to ky's comment, their food does offer more value for money than airasia's :D can you track the delivery rider's whereabouts if he's late - as in, is there a live map that you can view to see exactly where your food is as it's heading to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean like taking Grabcar? Hehe! :D I don't know if that's possible since I don't do any tracking coz I don't think it's of any use to find out where the rider is if he's late. But I do get sms'es when they're scheduled to arrive later, so that's enough for me, for now.

      Delete
  4. Somebody sounds very happy hee..hee... I have been enjoying the freedom of having food delivered to me and I don't miss cooking yet! Re-plating the food onto (beautiful) plates makes a world of difference. I eat mostly in the office and even at home I did not bother to transfer to a plate except once. I am compiling my orders in my draft post and will share soon. I have yet to experience the dishes you featured in this post.

    By the way, where did you buy that plate for meal #1? I have been looking for this type of plate as I have seen them being used at restaurants. The plate for meal #5 is rather pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying your freedom of not having to cook...hehe! ;) And I look forward to reading about the dishes you ordered.

      Yay, someone took notice of my beautiful plate! ^o^ I bought this at Muji. Would you be willing to pay close to RM70 for a plate? I bought only one just for my blog...haha! :D But this is wooden plate so I have to take extra care not to scratch it...a knife is a no-no (I too sayang my plate, for now). I've been looking for these types of plates too but preferably ceramic or stoneware types so I don't have to bother about scratching them. Looks like we have the same good taste on plates too. Plate #5 is from Ikea.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you on your suggestions for further improvements. I learnt my lesson when I once chose the 1:00pm to 2:00pm slot only to have my meal delivered at 2:30pm! Now I go for the 1:00pm to 2:00pm and the meals come before 1:15pm.

    I don't mind chicken, but please make it chicken leg hee..hee... Some of their dishes are quite good but because of chicken breast, it spoiled the experience for me.

    Oh yes, the vegetables are so boring! Even the Masala Butter Chicken I ordered recently (which was excellent BTW) was served with very hard carrot slices. Yuks!

    Regarding spillage, I once saw the rider flip my box upside down when he took it out of his carrier bag. Luckily that meal did not have any sauce.

    I now have a pile of their unopened cutlery as I dislike using plastic ones. Might come in handy in the office during those impromptu office gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're on board with me on the improvement suggestions. I learned from experience too and adjusted my delivery times accordingly.

      Do remember to read the description of the dish carefully then since they'll always mention if it's chicken breast (if not, it'll be in the ingredients list).

      9 out of 10 times, the vegetables are under-cooked and I'd get hard carrot and broccoli which I end up discarding. They seriously need to look into the cook of their vegetables.

      After each order and delivery, they'd ask for our opinion on the food and rider. You should so tell them your experience so that they can improve. I wasn't as unfortunate as you to see my box flipped, otherwise I would have flipped! I once saw the rider tilting his carrier bag and I was worried for all the contents in his bag.

      I so wish they would make an announcement and not provide plastic cutlery at all. That way they save costs...and save the earth! I'm sure the customers will find their own alternative.

      Delete
  6. So agree with you for point number 5. If someone could come up with a system to do away with single use packaging in all of its forms I would order much more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that was possible, we would be all the better for it but logistically it'd be quite impossible. If they can do something about the single-use plastic cutlery, I'd be pleased already.

      Delete
  7. Wow, all food are taken out and nicely presented on beautiful plate for this post, thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...the lengths I'd go through for the benefit of my readers and my blog...hahaha! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...