Pages

Wednesday 26 July 2017

#ewew makes One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream

I've seen this One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream online since way back when but have always been a bit skeptical if it would really work, so what better way than to try it out for myself with some leftover bananas one day.

But since this uses only one-ingredient ie. bananas, you have to be really, really into bananas (which I am) to want to do this, otherwise don't even try.

First, you cut up the bananas (when they're still soft, obviously) and put them into the freezer.  As soon as they're frozen (in a matter of hours or left overnight), it's ready to use.

I don't even have a proper blender as I've never found the real need to buy a blender as I don't large portions of food that needed blending at home.  So, I used my trusted mini chopper to do the job (and two large bananas just about fit snugly in it).

I didn't expect the blitzing to take so long actually.  I didn't time it but I think it was a good 5 - 10 minutes probably because I wasn't using a proper blender but a hand-held one that's only 300 watts which I use occasionally just to blend garlic, onions, dried prawns or small amounts of chilli paste.

It actually became rather warm due to the prolonged usage that I thought it was going to "meletup" (burst) or something.  You have to blitz it until it reaches a smooth consistency.  But don't worry if it's not completely smooth as the little lumps of banana will add on to the texture of the ice cream.

You can eat it right after it's blended (if you like) and it'll have a texture like a soft serve with an intense banana flavour.  But if you enjoy it firmer, then be patient and put in back into the freezer to harden.  Now who says making ice cream is hard....haha! ^.^

Yes, I wanted to eat some immediately...but not before making a quenelle for a restaurant-y presentation! ;) Sorry, this is the result of watching too many cooking competitions.  So, I attempted to make a quenelle with two spoons by transferring it back and forth between the two spoons until I achieve the desired shape I want.

So, what do you think?  Did my first ice cream quenelle pass the test?  Kekeke! ^_~

A quenelle is an elegant way to serve ice cream.  You can quenelle them when they're soft (as it's easier to handle then) and put them back into the freezer until you're ready to serve to your guests.  Oops, this one not a very 'pretty' attempt :P

Or simply just serve it in a nice glass for less hassle :)  Now this is one guilt-free ice cream you can indulge in without the extra calories of sugar and cream.

You can also brighten it up by adding some colourful fresh fruits.  Alternatively, you can turn your One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream into a 2-ingredient ice cream by adding strawberries (or blueberries) to make it a Strawberry (or Blueberry) Banana Ice Cream or some cocoa powder or dark chocolate to turn it into a Chocolate Banana Ice Cream.  Or even some green tea for a Green Tea Banana Ice Cream.  The possibilities are endless! ^o^

10 comments:

  1. This looks tasty and easy to make at home. So coincident, my sister gave me a comb of bananas that are green & ripened to eat. So I should make this ice cream & go bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do...go bananas...kekeke, I mean make banana ice cream! ;D The riper the bananas are, the better tasting it'll be.

      Delete
  2. Hey, I have tried that but using a very expensive gadget which is now collecting dust in my cupboard hmmphh!! I find the frozen bananas very nice. Quite close to ice cream and I have also added frozen berries. But did it twice only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just improvised with whatever gadget I have in my kitchen. Yeah, I know what you mean...sometimes we buy gadgets we don't really use or need! :P

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favourite treats! It works with other fruit too, although some don't turn out quite as creamy as the banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I heard it works very well with bananas (because of the high pectin in them?) but not so well with some fruits. I suppose this can be solved by using other fruits together with bananas :)

      Delete
  4. looks nice! hmmm, i'm thinking of other funky ingredients to add to make it a two-ingredient ice cream ... banana beetroot ice cream? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, that's a pretty funky combination. If I make it, you can have it all coz I don't think I'd like beetroot banana ice cream...heh! ;P

      Delete
  5. "watching too many cooking competitions", me too me too, and I think ice cream is should be shaped like into a quenelle!
    This is definitely the simplest icy treat but the problem is I'm lazy to take out my blender as well as lazy to wash it after that >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I assume your blender is gathering dust in your kitchen cupboard then. When I eat at fancy restaurants nowadays, I expect my ice cream to be quenelled, no less....haha! ;D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...