Pages

Wednesday 18 May 2016

Nanoblock #1 - Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris

Time to take a break from writing food and cooking posts......

When I showed you one of my collections from many, many years ago (my fairy collection)....I did hint that there would be more, so here's one that I've just started to collect recently.

I've always been a fan of Lego but you can't very well collect them as it takes up a lot of space.  So, came these extremely micro-sized building blocks to the rescue....Nanoblock from Japan!

First introduced in 2008, their makers (Kawada Co Ltd) have made many series from animal themes to musical instruments to Christmas themes and many more.  But my favourite is the Sights to See series featuring designs of world landmarks and famous buildings.

I bought my first set recently.....and it's the Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris (400 pieces @ RM79.90).

photo credit: simple.wikipedia.org

But, before we begin, let's have a look at the real Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris and a bit of history (and some interesting facts) behind this magnificent cathedral which is among the largest and most well-known church buildings in the world.


photo credit: en.wikipedia.org

Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris is a medieval Catholic cathedral located on a small island called the lle de la Cite in the middle of river Seine.  This Catholic treasure in Paris, France is more than 800 years old (construction began in 1163 and completed in 1345 although there were further restoration in later years).  It is the cathedral of the Catholic Archdiocese of Paris, one of many archdioceses in France.


photo credit: en.wikipedia.org

The Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris is probably best known for its relation to the story of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, made famous by the numerous cartoons and movies inspired by it.

There's also the famous story of Joan of Arc, the peasant girl who claimed that she had visions from God, who helped France in the battles against the English troops.  She was later captured, accused of heresy and burned at the stake.  She was later declared innocent and a martyr and was beatified in this very cathedral in 1909.

Probably a more recent shocking news would be the suicide of a French historian in this cathedral in 2013 (supposedly for protest against same-sex marriage).

Coming back to my mini version, inside the box you'd find a few packets of separately wrapped nanoblocks (it helps us to find the pieces we want much easier and faster).....and the instruction guide, of course.

If you happen to drop one (or more) of your nanoblocks, it's not the end of the world as they come with spares.  Yes, there are extra bricks for each type/size of brick, so you don't have to worry.   I suppose they packed extras for this very reason.

Ta da...my Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Paris nanoblock is done!

Front View (finished size: L8 x W8 x H7.5 cm)

Top-down View

View from the Right

View from the Left

I find it stimulating, entertaining and fun to make...it makes for a nice and relaxing hobby.  I guess their caption on the box says it all....fun to make, fun to display and fun to collect!

You bet I'll be buying my next kit soon!! ;)

8 comments:

  1. Good heavens! I never imagined you would be into nanoblocks LOL! Yes, indeed it is a good hobby, keeps the mind and fingers nimble. We need that as we age (not that I am saying you are old!) so that the brain is kept active and stimulated. Also with this Sights to See Series, you do learn about historical sites and such. I don't have the patience to put these things together, so I'll just admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't know I'd collect fairies too, right? Kekeke! Well, we all age with each passing day...but you'll be surprised to know that when I was buying this, all the other "buyers" were young people (mostly girls)! :D

      Delete
  2. Cookie would look like a giant monster beside this nano-Notre Dame...

    What am I saying, how can he be a monster, he's so cute... >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's cute coz he's a Cookie Monster! ;D I think you miss Cookie >.< And you've given me an idea how I should take a pic with my nano...hehe! :D

      Delete
  3. Wah, you are so in, nanoblocks are the latest in thing now. Can't wait to see which one will you buy next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll have to wait and see! ;) Is it the in thing now? I don't know coz it's been around for the past 8 years already but I just developed the 'fancy' lately.

      Delete
  4. ooo ... how long did it take you to assemble the cathedral? looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know really coz I didn't finish it in one go (as I wanted to prolong the fun)! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...