Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Just One Food - Cucur Udang

Continuing along my ramadhan happy trail, this is yet another favourite of mine (and my son's too)....."Cucur Udang" (Prawn Fritters)!  It's a common tea time kuih among Malaysians.  This snack is very versatile and some have even found its way into rojak, mi goreng mamak, mi rebus and pasembur, to name a few.
 
You'd usually find these sold at roadside stalls, "pasar malam" (night markets) and ramadhan bazaars.  There're many types of cucur available from cucur udang to cucur ikan bilis, cucur bawang and cucur jagung or even a combination of any one of these ingredients.  Essentially, the key ingredients of any cucur udang would be the prawns (of course), onions and "kucai" (Chinese chives).  Some variations will have carrots, bean sprouts or even sweet corn added.  The yellow hue from the fritters is the result of the use of "kunyit" (turmeric) powder.
 
There are many stalls selling this delicacy at the ramadhan bazaar here but I think I've finally found a really good one.  I'm not sure how many pieces of cucur udang goes into one packet (coz they were already all cut up and packed) but they're sold @ RM5 a packet.  Each packet comes with some cut up pieces of fried tofu and cucumber to make it a complete meal.
 
I like these ones coz they're loaded with Chinese chives and sliced onions...two very important elements in a cucur udang.  The Chinese chives give it that extra fragrant smell and taste while the onions offer sweetness to this fried snack.
 
I was also told that they use the (more expensive) small white shrimps (with shells on) in their mix although finding some may prove to be a bit of a treasure hunt....but just know that they're in there somewhere! :D
 
Look at just how crispy the exterior is...and the abundance of kucai!  This is one where you don't get an overly spongy texture due to an overload of flour batter but a rather soft and savoury interior.  Absolute yumzzz!! 
 
The cucur udang is served with two types of dip here (usually you get one or the other)....a "kuah kacang" (peanut sauce) and a spicy-sweet chili sauce.  The kuah kacang is pretty similar to the ones you eat with satay.  Both dips complement the prawn fritters very well.
 
I'm going to miss this cucur udang once ramadhan is over coz I've not found better ones elsewhere.
 

14 comments:

  1. I love cucur udang! My girl too...and anything deep fried! Ah!!! They use styrofoam there, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay...to anything deep fried....and, yes, unfortunately, styrofoam is used to pack everything here. No choice, you either take it or bring your own Tupperware.

      Delete
  2. I grandma used to make these cucur udang. Hey, you can make these at home. No need to wait for Ramadan hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make these at home? No...no....no...I can still remember my 'mini explosion' nightmare from making Corn Fritters :( Yikes!

      Delete
  3. Cucur udang to me, is like durians. I used to love them, nowadays not so much. I seem to have just lost the taste for them... :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you can fall out of love or fall in love with a particular food over time! ;)

      Delete
  4. used to like them during my school day...that is till the pimple eruptions LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, pimple eruption is a sign of puberty....don't blame it on the cucur udang! :D :D

      Delete
  5. One of my favourite food when I was 16 because I like to eat the cucur udang sold in the canteen of my secondary school very much. Now I can't find any that can match up to that taste of cucur udang of yonder years. So far I have tried the cucur udang sold at Nyonya colors and Chawan. taste ok but not the same as those I ate when I was 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cucur udang are nothing like the ones sold at Nyonya Colors...these are so much better. Wow, you can really remember the taste of the food you ate...even from a long time back. I don't think I can remember from even 10 years ago! ;D

      Delete
  6. oooo ... an ode to cucur udang! i admit, they're not my favourite snack, but maybe that's because i haven't managed to enjoy the really good ones yet! must keep an eye out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's it...I don't think you've found a really good one yet. The really good ones are usually sold at roadside stalls, pasar malams or ramadhan bazaars....which aren't your favourite food haunts! ;D

      Delete
  7. man, good looking cucur udang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are, aren't they? Handsome little devils! Have you had your share of cucur udang yet?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...