Pages

Monday 22 August 2022

Lam Kee Wantan Mee @ Taman Seraya

Recently, the lady operating my regular go-to wantan mee stall in my neighbourhood did not open shop for many days.  Initially, I thought she was taking a few days off but each time I passed by the shop, she was not there.  Days turned to weeks.

By the end of the second week, I decided to ask the stall next to her to find out why she has not opened shop for so long.  I finally found out that she went for an eye operation and would need at least 2 weeks to recuperate.  I think she ended up taking 3 weeks.

Within the first week of not seeing her open, I had to look for other alternatives as wantan mee is one of the noodle dishes I eat quite often.  It's especially relied upon when I want to eat something less heaty but with flavour...and wantan mee fits the bill to the tee!  So I looked up ShopeeFood and found Lam Kee Wantan Mee @ Taman Seraya.

When it comes to wantan mee, I always start with the basics, their Char Siew Wantan Mee @ RM10.50, which I'd usually use to gauge if the place is any good at wantan mee.  I was more than happy with what I got as the sauce was well balanced and tasty, not too wet and not too dry, just nice.

The char siew (BBQ pork) looked very lean when I opened the box but the meat turned out to be very tender, so I had no qualms about my char siew being lean as long as it's sufficiently tender.  Some might beg to differ and would prefer fattier char siew (or at least a half-lean-half-fat ratio), so this may not be the char siew that suits you.

After the much approved char siew wantan mee, I couldn't wait to try their BBQ Pork Ribs Wantan Mee @ RM11.50 as well.  BBQ pork ribs aren't commonly offered at many wantan mee stalls, so I was looking forward very much to try this.

There were four adequately-sized BBQ pai guat (pork ribs) that were fairly meaty with a well caramelised exterior that was not too sweet just like the char siew.  The ribs were deliciously fragrant and tender....I liked it a lot! ^o^

The Steamed Chicken Wantan Mee @ RM10.50 is also something not usually seen offered by wantan mee shops.  I made a request for chicken thigh but got the wing instead (no matter, I don't mind the wing either).

The steamed chicken was tender, just don't expect it to be as wat (or smooth) like how the chicken rice experts do their poached chicken.  It was alright as I thought it was a decent enough rendition.

The Braised Chicken Feet with Mushrooms Wantan Mee @ RM10.50 was my least favourite.  The chicken feet would be considered sufficiently tender by most standards.

It's just that I like my braised chicken feet achingly soft with its skin almost falling apart (not a pretty sight in terms of presentation but a case of it tasting better than it looks).

The first time I tried their wantan mee (I'm always the adventurous curious one to try out a new place first and if it's any good, only then I'd recommend to my family), I ordered the Soup Dumplings @ RM7 (for 3 pcs) as well as I needed my order to be above RM15 to be entitled to RM2 off from delivery.  Yeah, ShopeeFood delivery is no longer free (gone are the happy days!).  The best we can get now is RM2 off (with a minimum spend of RM15) for all restaurants (the RM4 delivery voucher you can see but can't touch as it's only applicable to selected restaurants).

The dumplings turned out to be very plump and meaty (so were the soup wantans) and you can clearly see that the filling had chopped prawns inside (along with minced pork, finely diced jicama and carrots).

I found that the texture of the wantan mee was cooked to my liking, not overly soft but firm to the bite.  I also liked that this wantan mee was slightly thicker than the norm as I don't really like those overly thin (or, worst still, wavy) type of wantan mee.

The only thing I didn't like was the taste of the soup which I found to be a bit too peppery.  It wasn't like the hot peppery taste of (say) pig stomach soup (that I love) resulting from white peppercorns but the peppery taste comes from ground white pepper which is different (and too much of it isn't all that nice).

My Personal Opinion

I'm glad to have found another very worthy wantan mee as an alternative in case I want a different tasting wantan mee from my usual neighbourhood's regular shop (or when the stall owner decides to go on a long break like recently).  In food (as well as in life), it's good to have a back-up plan or a few back-up plans...lol).

Of the 4 types of wantan mee I've tried (they offer a 5th type - curry chicken wantan mee), the BBQ pork ribs is at the top of my list for its deliciously fragrant and well caramelised pork ribs followed by the very tender but lean char siew.

This place is now a regular go-to wantan mee delivery for us....even when my neighbourhood wantan mee stall is now back in action.  When one door closes (even temporarily), I guess another opens.....lol! ^.^

Lam Kee Wantan Mee
No 30 Jalan Bunga Tanjung 10-A
Taman Seraya
Cheras
56100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 012-648 1266

7 comments:

  1. I like my Wonton Mee with utterly black sauce, the darker the happier! Can't really see the colour of the sauce in your photo, perhaps you can mix you noodles and show us in your future posts. :P
    For the Char Siew for Wonton Mee, I'll check the look of it before I place order because I'm quite particular on the quality of Char Siew. I only like Char Siew which similar with my Toast n Roast, sticky sweet type. Hehe.
    I have the same preference with you on the braised chicken feet, I like them with skin almost falling apart, P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the first photo of the wantan mee where the sauce was not thoroughly tossed, the rest showcased the actual colour of the sauce.
      Although my Toast & Roast's sticky sweet type of char siew is delicious, I find that the sweetness can be a bit cloying. Ah, we share the same preference when it comes to braised chicken feet. ^_~

      Delete
  2. Well, well, another good find! You have been on a good steak lately with eateries that you tried. I read somewhere that the wanton mee stall at Restoran 111 in Damansara Utama is pretty good but somehow I never ventured to try it. I wonder what is your next good find hah..hah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, it may seem that I'm on a roll lately with some good finds...but that's because I chose not to write about some of the not-so-good finds (some of which I tried only once).....lol! >.< P/S: Like you, I'm experiencing comments (yours specifically) ending up in the spam folder also (don't know why, must be a blogspot problem).

      Delete
  3. Wah even char siu wan tan also RM 10+ already.. those sui kau looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is delivery price, so understandable that it'll be higher than dine-in.

      Delete
  4. Our health is our wealth, without it we really have nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...