Pages

Wednesday 10 August 2022

Dee Nasi Ayam @ Pandan Indah

It's not always that you'd find me trying out Malay-style nasi ayam (chicken rice).  Why would I when we have an abundance of good Chinese-type chicken rice stalls and shops which we're more accustomed to.  But I've seen this Dee Nasi Ayam @ Pandan Indah in my neighbourhood filled with delivery riders outside their shop regularly.

That piqued my interest enough to walk-in for a takeaway but I was left standing inside the shop without anyone attending to me.  I could see that they were very busy but that still doesn't warrant ignoring me altogether.  They should at least have asked me what I wanted or tell me that I need to wait.  After a period of time that felt too long to me, I walked out.  So, when I saw them on ShopeeFood, I thought I can now finally try through delivery.

Although Malay-style chicken rice shops are more known for putting out chicken rice with ayam goreng berempah or any fried chicken for that matter, this one have roast (nasi ayam roasted) and poached chicken (nasi ayam hainan) on their menu too.  These two are their best sellers (and I can understand why since not many Malay chicken rice shops sell that) but why would I want to eat that when I've endless Chinese chicken rice shops selling just that which I often eat.  Of course I'd go for something different like their Nasi Ayam Crispy Lemon @ RM15.90.

I specified the cut I wanted (thigh) but when it arrived, they obviously used thigh as that's the part most commonly used for fried chicken chop after all.  I felt kinda silly asking for that specific cut then (not sure if they use any other cut though).  The fried chicken chop/thigh was nicely crunchy on the outside but tender within.

The lemon sauce tasted really good, not too sweet and slightly watery in consistency which I prefer coz when it's overly thick (like how some places do it), it's kinda cloying and some end up too sweet for my liking. ^o^

I was also pleasantly surprised by the taste and aroma of the rice.  If you've eaten Malay-style chicken rice before, more often than not they come in bright yellow (I think turmeric must have played a part).  The rice here is closer to those we find aplenty in our Chinese chicken rice stalls in terms of both looks and taste that's more similar to the rice being cooked with a good chicken stock.

Not only did the rice bear a closer similarity to our Chinese chicken rice stalls, the soup did too (though it was extra peppery).  Usually, their soups have a stronger spice taste (especially of star anise and/or some other spices) as they like to cook it with what we call Rempah 4 Sekawan that contains star anise (bunga lawang), cardamom (buah pelaga), cloves (bunga cengkih) and cinnamon (kayu manis).  This is one soup that I relished which won't end up being poured down my kitchen sink. 

Next on the list to try was the Nasi Ayam Madu (Ayam Dara) @ RM13.90 which is basically Honey (Spring) Chicken Rice (or virgin chicken for a more direct translation of ayam dara...lol).  The picture in the menu clearly showed a chicken leg, so I didn't think twice about asking for a specific cut (especially not after the first order).  But, lo and behold, I got the wing part.  I actually don't mind the wing, just not the part attached to the wing. >.<

The sauce has a slight tang with a taste of sweetness that's obviously not from sugar but from honey.  Just that the honey sauce didn't taste good, must be from a poor quality honey.  The sauce wasn't quite what I expected as it turned out more watery while the picture in the menu shows a thick sauce coating the chicken.

As a result of the not-so-stellar quality of the honey and the chicken breast (attached to the wing) being dry, there can be only one conclusion.....I obviously did not finish my chicken as the honey sauce wasn't great.

The Nasi Ayam Crispy Mango @ RM15.90 was actually the first thing I wanted to try but I accidentally clicked Ayam Crispy Lemon instead.  So, I got this for my third order.

From my previous mistake, I wasn't going to take another chance and made sure I asked for the thigh portion (even if it was a given).  The ayam crispy was similar to the one in the nasi ayam crispy lemon.  Crunchy, tender, like any fried chicken should be.

The mango turned out to be finely shredded pickled mango.  I don't know why I initially thought I'd be getting fresh, ripen mango cubes (like a salsa).  This is much better as the slightly tart and crunchy julienned mango provided the fresh element needed for the dish + it also opened up my appetite.  The accompanying chilli sauce for the ayam crispy is quite similar to a Thai-style sweet chilli sauce that also has sour and spicy notes.

Finally, besides the usual timun (cucumber slices) we get in our traditional Chinese-styled chicken rice, the one here serves pickled timun instead along with some lettuce leaves, sliced chillies, onions and mustard seeds for that tiny pop of sensation in your mouth.  Nicely done.

Besides the three more unique/uncommon nasi ayam that I've tried, nasi ayam masak merah, nasi ayam goreng berempah (fried spiced chicken), nasi ayam chicken chop, nasi ayam goreng rangup (crispy fried chicken) and nasi ayam BBQ rounds up the rest of their chicken rice options (other than nasi ayam roasted and nasi ayam hainan) together with a few noodles and vegetables dishes.

My Personal Opinion

They first started as a single lot, non-airconditioned restaurant before expanding to two air-conditioned shoplots currently.  That shows they're doing something right and business must be good.  I can certainly understand why coz there aren't many Malay chicken rice shops that sell halal roasted and poached chicken that's common in Chinese chicken rice shops.

Well, I certainly enjoyed their nasi ayam crispy lemon and nasi ayam crispy mango that's different from what's offered by our traditional Chinese chicken rice shops.  For me, the nasi ayam crispy lemon takes top spot of the three I tried because of the taste of the lemon sauce. ^.^

So, when I find myself in the mood for something other than our traditional Chinese-style chicken rice, I know where to go. ^_~

Restoran Dee Nasi Ayam
No 41G Jalan Pandan Indah 1/23
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 019-953 5090

6 comments:

  1. I saw sliced orange on your Nasi Ayam Madu gravy, did it contribute any flavour to the sauce? Wow again, the fried chicken arrived remained crunchy, how amazing! The Korean fried chicken that I Grab recently turned out to be a bit soggy when reached my place. :(
    Pickled cucumber definitely a welcome to accompany the rice dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That orange slice probably provided the tartness to the sauce as it was tangy and sweet. Not sure why your fried chicken doesn't arrive crunchy unless it's the shop itself or you ordered from a faraway shop that took more than half an hour to arrive. Fingers crossed...our favourite 4Fingers have always arrived crunchy...lol! ;)

      Delete
  2. Another good find! It appears that this Malay chicken rice shop offers more varieties of chicken. I have never thought of chicken rice being paired with anything other than the usual roasted or poached chicken. If I had the opportunity, the nasi ayam crispy mango would have drawn me in immediately. As for the chicken part, I think I would still specify the part that I want as added insurance. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why the roasted and poached chicken rice are their best sellers among Malay diners since it's more uncommon to them where as their other ways of doing chicken rice is more unique to the Chinese. ^_~

      Delete
  3. Watery honey sauce certainly doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watery + not good quality honey = disaster! >_<

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...