Pages

Monday 7 March 2022

Random Bites @ Taman Shamelin Perkasa

This Random Bites @ KL (in Taman Shamelin Perkasa actually) was randomly picked when I was contemplating what to get for breakfast one morning.  It's certainly one of the cheapest types of breakfast you can find (at around RM0.50 to RM1 a piece, previously closer to RM0.50, now more towards RM1 a piece).

You'd usually find these selling (more commonly) at the morning markets but no such luck in my neighbourhood's morning market (in fact, there's only one selling in the afternoons at a coffee shop here). But I prefer to have these fried Chinese pastries/dough with a cup of hot coffee in the mornings rather than at tea time (not that I indulge in tea or tea breaks actually).

I was happy that Random Bites offered the option of Mixed Chinese Pastries @ RM4.20 (for 5 pcs) where you get a piece each of yau char kwai, ma kiok, ham chim peng, ham chim peng with tau sa and kap chung all in one order.

Probably the most common and popular Chinese pastry would be the yau char kwai (otherwise known as yoo tiao or Chinese cruellers).  This place/stall being not too far from me, I was able to receive them still hot, crispy and fluffy, so it was good in that sense.

The best way to enjoy this is to dunk a freshly fried yoo tiao into a cup of hot coffee (kopi-o would be preferable), a way of eating taught to us when we were children growing up, but I don't have any instant black coffee that I like at home, so my favourite instant white coffee will have to do.

The ham chim peng (a savoury dough with five-spice added) carries the distinct fragrance of 5-spice powder and some can be overwhelming if too much is used.  These ones were ok as it had only a light dusting of 5-spice (some will think there was too little).  This isn't a firm favourite of mine as I usually feel the pastry can be a little dense.

Between the savoury 5-spiced ham chim peng, I definitely prefer the ham chim peng with tau sa (fried bun with red bean paste filling).  These ones were alright, just that a stall in my neighbourhood (which sells them in the afternoons) does it better.

The kap chung (I just learned this description recently, I usually refer to it as a type of ham chim peng with glutinous rice in the centre) was acceptable though the sticky rice could do with a bit more salt as it tasted bland.

The ma kiok (aka horse hoof bun so called because of the shape of the bun resembling a horse's hoof it seems) was dusted in both white and black sesame seeds.  This fried pastry is one of those that's sweet (rather than savoury) coz it's brushed with a sweet batter (thankfully not too sweet) and it's super crispy when fried (due to the sugars caramelising) with added fragrance from the sesame seeds.  Some can be overly crispy and that's when you know that it has a bit too much sugar.

Getting 5 pcs for the price of RM4.20 means one piece cost around RM0.80 only which makes this really dirt cheap (taking into account this is delivery price!).  Imagine the price if bought on-site...probably around RM0.60 (but I admit they're much smaller in size compared to the norm).  The stall in my taman and a nearby morning market sell them at RM1 each (not sure if the price is still the same now as I've not bought them for a while) although, in their defence, they're much bigger in size.

But my hat goes off to the Banana Bun @ RM4 (for 5 pcs) I ordered which I've never eaten before.  This is the first time I've come across this version of Chinese pastry.  Pretty ingenious I have to say.  Although the pastry won't be as crispy since it's encasing something as soft and juicy as a piece of banana, it was very tasty.  If you're someone who likes to eat these Chinese pastries as well as banana, this combo will please you for sure.  Loved it to bits! ^o^

It's a bit like cekodok pisang or jemput-jemput (banana fritters) except they won't turn so dark (some can be dense too if too much flour was used) as they weren't deep-fried directly in oil (with the sugars in the banana caramelising).  The layer of pastry protected the chunks of banana thereby retaining its original texture and juiciness since no flour was needed to be mixed in with the banana.

It's extremely delightful when it's eaten fresh and hot, lightly crisp on the outside, although it's still pretty alright even when it's not (after the dough has cooled and softened).  There was one time they even gave me 6 pcs (instead of 5), not sure if it was an error or they were just grateful for my repeated orders (I'd like to think it was the latter...kekeke!).

Besides these pastries, they also offer coconut bun, fried peanut and red bean sesame balls, and yau char kwai with curry (wonder what that taste like as I've never had yoo tiao dunked in curry before).  You can also order your favourite pastry (just one type) at RM4 (I'm assuming you get 5 pcs also).  

If I were to rank in order of taste and preference of the mixed pastries, it would be the ma kiok first followed by yau char kwai with the red bean bun, sticky rice and five-spiced ones coming in a distant 3rd to 5th.  But the best thing, hands down, was the banana bun! ^o^

Recently I found out that I can order the exact amount of whichever pastry I want for the mixed package but putting a note for them (I actually just gave it a try to see if they'd entertain such a request and was delighted that they did).  So, I got my top two favourites (in terms of taste here), the yau char kwai and ma kiok (the latter of which, incidentally, wouldn't be a top choice for me because it's sugary sweetness).  But the banana bun is a must-order, of course.

My Personal Opinion

I'm glad that I can now order these Chinese fried dough/pastries for breakfast through delivery.  A truly tasty and cheap breakfast that can easily feed a family of two (maybe even 3) for under RM10.....now who can say no to that! ;)

Although it isn't the best tasting fried pastries I've had (that still belongs to a stall in SS2...plus some I've bought from morning markets), it's still pretty decent and one that I can get in the mornings without having to step out of my house....and that's even better, isn't it? ^.^

Random Bites @ KL
20 Lorong 4/91
Taman Shamelin Perkasa
56100 Kuala Lumpur

6 comments:

  1. I love fried pastries and my favorite is ham chim peng. It's been my favorite since I was a child. I am familiar with yiu tiao (my late grandma's favorite) and kap chung (I just learnt what's it called from your post) which my partner likes but me, not so much. I have not had ma kiok before but I reckon I will like it. Those banana buns look so cute and I bet that's something I would enjoy too! Aren't food deliveries wonderful? hah..hah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pandemic has taught me (if nothing else) to be lazy and enjoy food deliveries...lol (before this I hardly order food in). I think it'll stay a norm going forward even when we enter the endemic stage with our borders opening up in less than a month.

      I reckon you'll enjoy the ma kiok as it's super crispy and caters to your sweet tooth too.

      Delete
  2. You are so damn lucky to pay just RM4.20 and get a piece each of yau char kwai, ma kiok, ham chim peng, ham chim peng with tau sa and kap chung all in one order. I had never seen a good deal like this. I always have to get my fix from Bandar Sri Damansara's coffee shop or Taman Desa. None in my neighbourhood. Bah.

    Until today I seldom like to dip them into Kopi-O like my wife does. I still love to drink my hot Kopi-O Kaw separately from these fritters. They taste better on their own.

    I am always learning new words from you. I didn't know this Jemput-Jemput! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy that you can still 'learn' something from my posts.

      Ah, I see you don't like to dip your yau char kwai in kopi-o. Maybe it's not a Penang thing/upbringing?

      Yes, RM4.20 is a steal for 5 pcs (some more via delivery)...no where else can beat this price...haha! ^.^

      Delete
  3. Wah wah wah, I would like to try that banana bun if I can find any at my area! I love Yao Tiao and always prefer to get those freshly fried from roadside stalls or shop (I Love Yoo, specifically :P). But I'm quite choosy when come to roadside stall as I will check on the oil they're using, it's definitely a put off if I see black black oil in the wok. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree that it's best with coffee, but perhaps not with black coffee that's without sugar..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...