Pages

Thursday 13 June 2019

Dean & Deluca @ Pavilion

Ever since my maiden visit to Dean & Deluca @ Pavilion for breakfast, I've been back numerous times as it has become a current favourite place of mine for beautifully cooked poached eggs.

Their poached eggs are always perfectly done (at least the times when I had it) and complemented by a terrific hollandaise sauce.  If you love poached eggs as much as I do, you've got to give these ones a try...seriously! ;)  And my sisters-in-law did when I brought them here...they went for the poached eggs which I highly recommended.

When I see grinders (not shakers!) of black pepper and salt on the table, I'm always happy....and here, it's no ordinary sea salt but (the more atasHimalayan pink salt some more...kekeke! ;)  Freshly grounded pepper (from whole peppercorns) tastes so much more fragrant.  The place starts me off on a good note for my upcoming lunch already.

Each time I'm here, I'm always tempted to order the poached eggs time and time again but I think it's high time I give their other dishes a chance.  I decided to order the Seared Norwegian Salmon Fillet @ RM35 instead.  The salmon fillet was cooked just right, with a nice sear on the outside and revealing a juicy, tender fillet on the inside.  And for once, I didn't miss not having a crispy skin! :P

The salmon was served sitting on a bed of quinoa and spinach.  The first time I had quinoa, I can't say I was a fan of the bland taste and texture but my fears were unfounded as these ones turned out delicious.  Maybe it's because this one was cooked with spinach which gave it much more flavour.  I think I've a newfound fondness for quinoa.  The fresh tomato salsa (of chopped tomatoes, onions and parsley) was equally appetising to freshen up my palate.

This dish will appeal to those seeking a light, fresh, subtle-tasting dish with a host of healthy benefits at the same time.  I'd gladly order this again. ^o^

Next was a pasta dish chosen by my nephew, the Dean & Deluca's Signature Meatball @ RM30 in a tomato-based sauce served with parmesan shavings.  It came with three very substantially-sized beef meatballs making it a very filling dish.  I enjoyed the texture of their fresh, house-made pasta tossed in a lovely, light tomato sauce.  Choices include tagliolini or fettuccini as your pasta of choice (I'm assuming this is tagliolini which looks somewhat like spaghetti, only flatter and not as rod-shaped).

But the meatballs were very beefy...and the pasta very cheesy, not necessarily two things I'd love together in a sentence, but well suited for those who enjoy such flavours.

Another pasta dish, the Carbonara @ RM28 with beef bacon, mushrooms and grated parmesan was the choice of my niece.  It was both creamy and cheesy but not to the point of cloying.  Again, freshly made pasta is the way to go...so much better than dried pasta anytime.

I was fond of the good quality beef bacon and juicy button mushrooms which freshened up the plate from all that creaminess.  Yeah, I would have appreciated some fresh greens (perhaps arugula) to add a touch of lightness to the dish.

My sister-in-law got herself a piece of Carrot Cake for dessert from the cake counter.  I'm not much of a carrot cake fan (and the cream cheese frosting looked a bit over-chilled to me) but she said it was nice.

My Personal Opinion

Apart from their freshly cooked house-made pastas (way to go!), they have a variety of other options like sandwiches, burgers, quiche, soups, salads and more main courses of beef, chicken, fish and prawns to tickle your fancy! ;)

Though the pastas wouldn't be my personal choices, they certainly would be for people who like cheesy carbonaras and beefy marinaras.  I've got my eyes set on the other aglio olio pasta on the menu though.

Whether it's for beautifully cooked poached eggs in the mornings...or a more substantial main course (like salmon) for lunch or dinner, it's all good...and the prices are pretty friendly too! ^.^

Dean & Deluca
C3.10.02 Level 3
Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2110 0140

12 comments:

  1. Ah! I like quinoa and I am glad that you are liking it more now. It has to be cooked with a flavorful broth or paired with something else that would jazz it up. So far I have had it in salads and also fried (like fried rice) at Goodness Greens.

    I have only had poached eggs twice and I should really visit Dean & Deluca to try theirs. Not a fan of carrot cake? hee..hee... neither am I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you've only had poached eggs twice. I guess that's because you hardly eat breakfast (or you make something from home) and your food escapades with your brother is usually either for lunch or dinner. As for me, I can't count how many times I've had poached eggs (maybe I should do a post on how many times or how many places I've had poached eggs...haha!).

      Delete
  2. For some reasons, I love that name Dean & Deluca. It reminds me of someone nice.

    I love to eat poached eggs and it is not easy to cook them perfect like your photos. That plates of meatballs and Carbonara looked yummy & delicious too. I am curious about the Himalayan Salt being considered as healthier salt by some people. My doctor once told me that my body lacks of sodium from blood test results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you...you can eat all the salty food you want and not worry about high blood pressure! ;) Sea salt, rock salt, Himalayan salt...any salt is better than regular, overly processed table salt! >.<

      Delete
  3. hoping that they do well enough to open up in other malls - i'm sure they'd find some appreciative customers at the gardens in mid valley too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, why not? Though Mid Valley is really competitive. The eateries there come and go at frightening speed! :O

      Delete
  4. Always love good poach eggs, now I know where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom go to this area but if I do, I'll make sure to visit this place for good poached eggs. I like carbonara but not really order it nowadays as it is really fattening (crazily fattening!!) >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really convincing me to make a visit. I'm with your sis in law - carrot cake fan. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...