Pages

Wednesday 18 April 2018

#ewew cooks Sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings

I actually learned this recipe from Astro's afc shorts where they show you short clips of recipes as fillers in between cooking shows.  And it's super easy to follow as they show you step by step how the dish is cooked. You can either record the short clip (and view again) or you can (like me) pause the steps at intervals to jot down the ingredients needed.

One day, I caught this short clip on how to make Sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings.  The end result looked tempting enough, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Ingredients:

6 chicken wings, without the wing tips (about 500g)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

Marinade:
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp water
2 garlic cloves (minced)
2 cm ginger (peel & grated)

Preparation:

First, prepare the marinade.  Mince the garlic cloves and grate the ginger.  Then, add the rest of the marinade of honey, soy and water and mix well.

As the original recipe was made with 1kg of chicken wings and I only bought 500g worth, I made adjustments to the marinade (and seasoning) accordingly but I did bump up the black pepper a bit more.

Method:

Pour the marinade into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.

Simmer until the sauce thickens and is reduced by half (about 4 minutes).

Season the chicken and pour the reduced marinade (once cooled) over the chicken.  Get your hands in there to ensure the marinade is rubbed all over the chicken.  Stick it back into the fridge for a couple of hours (or at least an hour) to let the flavours develop.

When you're ready to cook, take the chicken out from the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Arrange the chicken wing pieces on a lined tray.  Pour what's left of the marinade over the chicken.

Preheat oven to 200°C and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.  You can choose to turn your wings halfway through to get a more even charring on all sides (I did that).  But if you choose not to and only char the presentation side, you can too but your wings will need a shorter cook time (probably 20 minutes will do).

The end result....lovely sticky-sweet-garlicky-savoury Sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings y'all!

Serve that with a side salad and some potato wedges...and you have yourself a complete meal of protein, carbs and veggies.

And because the marinade has garlic, ginger and soy in the mix, it goes very well in a Chinese meal of rice-with-dishes set-up too.

To make life easier, you don't even have to make your own salad and fries.  Just get those pre-washed salad leaves in a packet and ready-made potato wedges from Aeon...and heat/crisp up the wedges in the oven toaster when you're ready to serve.  How easy is that? ^_*

Come to think of it, this makes a great dinner party menu as the main course, don't you think?  So easy to put together (since the chicken wings and marinade can be prepped ahead of time), all you need to do is to concentrate on roasting a lot of chicken wings! :P

Ah, forget about the fork....let's not be dainty about it.  Just get in there with your fingers...after all, it's finger lickin' good! ^o^

Ideally serves 2 small eaters as a main meal...but it could also be finished by one famished person.

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure I'd love the sticky honey sauce but would probably make them with breast - I know less flavour but healthier for my conscience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please feel free to make them with whichever cut of chicken that you prefer :)

      Delete
  2. You just like a Sifu to me sometimes for teaching me many new words and stuffs inside the kitchen. Today I learnt that there's ready made potato wedges in the supermarket!! I only knew they sold ready-cut potatoes to make fries! Thank you!

    Your Sticky Honey Soy Chicken Wings looks very delicious and kinda Korean to me. I am tempted to try this since I have all the ingredients in my kitchen except chicken wings! What am I waiting for?

    Your

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go get some wings! Korean? I thought the marinade seemed more Chinese to me.

      The supermarket I go to sells ready-made french fries, sweet potato fries, potato wedges and sometimes they have curly fries too...maybe not all within the same day.

      Delete
  3. looking at these mighty fine chicken wings, i think you'd be among the perfect people to invite for a pot luck party! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah....and I'll bring the wings....hehehe! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Your chicken wings are gorgeous! Love the color and the charring. Lots of flavors there. Ah, the marinade is simmered first. That concentrates the flavors, I guess. I am so going to try this hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoopee...I've made something that you want to try, I'm so glad. Yes, the cooking of the marinade is what makes it thick and concentrated. Hope you like it...but you probably might want to bump up the seasoning a bit more coz I like my food, especially when it's home-cooked, to be more subtle and less savoury. And judging from the recipes you've posted so far, I know you like your food with robust flavours :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, I like chicken wings, with any cooking method and yours definitely looks good! For me, I'll scrap off the garlic bits to avoid them get burnt when baking, just my personal preference, no offence ya~ :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, none taken. I too try not to put in garlic in my seasoning knowing that there's a tendency for it to get burnt but, surprisingly, in this recipe, it didn't (if you look closely, the burnt bits actually came from the cracked black pepper and chilli flakes). Maybe because the minced garlic had a coating of sauce on it (that made the garlic wet) and, so, prevented it from being burnt.

      Delete
  6. Hehe saw this on PH's blog and came over to see yours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm always glad if PH 'throw' some readers my way...kekeke! ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...