Pages

Friday 13 May 2022

Xiao Hei Chicken Rice @ Pandan Cahaya

This isn't a food introduction post (after all, it's just mere chicken rice!) but more of a food post that's good to know...that needs to be shared....and that may benefit some of my readers coz it's ridiculously worth it.....kind of a $aver post....lol!  So, obviously, it's only for those people who live or work in and around my area or where the shop is located.

Sometimes when I can't decide what to eat, my fingers will just keep scrolling ShopeeFood and that was when I stumbled upon this Xiao Hei Chicken Rice @ Pandan Cahaya.  Well, chicken rice is a dime a dozen as you're bound to find one such stall in any coffee shop.  Some are excellent, some are good but most are decent enough and that's because (I think) roast chicken is probably the easiest to nail successfully of all the roasted meats like char siew, siu yoke or roast duck.

The first item on the menu I tried was the Roasted Chicken Rice + Drink @ RM8.50.  I didn't see the "+ drink" initially, so imagine my surprise when I found out that the already fantastic price was inclusive of drinks (RM6.50 without the drink).  So, is this ridiculously worth it or what?  And at delivery price some more! :O That seems more like in-store prices with no mark up (heck, you may not even get that price for dine-in at some places).

For my choice of drink, I went for the cham peng (iced coffee + tea) and was pleasantly surprised to find it good.  I ordered the drink without putting in a request for less sweet just to gauge how sweet their drinks can be and was nicely confronted with a drink that's not too sweet.

Shock aside at the incredible value, the roasted chicken was also decent in taste.  Although I didn't get all thigh parts (which I requested), it was understandable as I ordered almost close to their closing time.  The few slices of siu yoke (roasted pork) you see was an add-on for RM3 (which I added to reach the minimum spend so that I could use the discount).  I didn't think the siu yoke was all that good, so you can safely skip that.  They've recently added siu yoke rice (RM12.50 + drink, RM9 without drink) option on their menu.

Encouraged by the superb deal and tasty chicken rice, I ordered the Poached Kampung Chicken Rice + Drink @ RM10.50 next (RM7.50 without the drink).  Again, the poached chicken was good, in fact better than the roast chicken if you ask me.

I requested for chicken thigh (as usual) and this time I got the part I want.  The chicken was tender with good flavours though the skin may be a little fatty (it usually is a little fattier around the thigh).  Knowing that it was smooth, tender and juicy, I don't think I'd mind if I was given a bit of chicken breast (so I don't think I'll need to ask for a specific cut the next time I order).

For the choice of drinks, I chose teh peng (iced tea) this round.  It was decent too though I liked the cham peng more.  The other drink choice is kopi peng (iced coffee with milk).  I'm not sure what's the rationale behind the pricing of the food as the drink prices seem to go up (from RM2 - RM3.50) depending on the main meal ordered.

I liked the rice too...a good portion with a good dose of chicken flavour.  I thought the flavour was better than a lot of the chicken rice stalls out there.

The accompanying soy sauce was fragrant and delicious too, not too salty that I was able to pour all of it into my rice.  The fresh chilli dip is spicier than the norm but that didn't stop me from finishing it.  Not only that but they also provide a blended ginger paste (not something you get regularly at many of the chicken rice stalls).

Not only was the food tasty and value for money but they can still afford to absorb the pricier/better packaging (put those places who charge more to shame but yet give you shabby packaging like those cheap styrofoam and soft transparent plastic type of packaging).  Look at the packaging for the drinks, thick packaging and properly sealed with no leakage, like those from higher end cafes or kopitiams.  Even the packaging of the soy/chilli dips are in small plastic bags with resealable tops.

My Personal Opinion

If you live or work around Ampang or the Pandan Triangle areas (they've recently opened a second branch/stall in Taman Shamelin Perkasa), I don't think you can get a better deal than this....that's superb value for your money yet delicious.  Where can you find a rice meal with an iced drink at just RM8.50 in times (of increasing prices) like this?  Not even at dine-in prices...and if you factor in the RM3 ShopeeFood discount, the price is even more inconceivable! ^.^

So I hope my little public service announcement (lol) is a shout-out to those looking for a good bargain or offer awareness to those who did not even know you can get a meal at such an unbelievable price.

Note that this price is only offered on ShopeeFood (and not FoodPanda where the price is similar but comes without the drink...which goes for between RM4 - RM5!).  Not sure if this was a mistake on their part in forgetting to add on a mark-up (for delivery) on ShopeeFood, so take full advantage while you still can.  Don't say I bojio? ;D

Xiao Hei Chicken Rice
52B-G Jalan Pandan Cahaya 2/3
Pandan Cahaya
68000 Ampang
Selangor

4 comments:

  1. I can see the soy sauce was light and not so dark, hence the saltiness was adequate.
    When I scroll those food ordering platforms, I always indecisive and end up choose the same old restaurant & food that I have been ordering >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been the opposite. I've been trying a lot more new food places since I jumped on the food delivery platform. When there are discounts, we've got nothing to lose....hehehe! ;)

      Delete
  2. Goodness me, chicken rice plus drinks at that price is a steal but bah! too far away from me! I like the way their drink is packed, so canggih. I hope that with your shout out, many people in your area will be able to enjoy this good chicken rice at super affordable price. And hopefully the restaurant keeps their pricing at the current rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it isn't every day that we see this kind of pricing by vendors on ShopeeFood. I hope they get the business volume they need to keep them going and charging this price. Hopefully my PSA is of help to those in the area when their pockets are a little tight come end of the month.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...