Pages

Wednesday 16 February 2022

The Brew House @ Pandan Indah

After a home-cooked Chinese New Year (CNY) reunion dinner on our own followed by more home-cooked dinners on Chor 1 and Chor 2 (the first and second day of CNY), I was tired of Chinese food already and was hankering for some western food.

There aren't many (good) choices when it comes to western food in my taman.  Most of them are what I term as localised western food and not very exciting.  Since I've eaten at their SS2 branch some years back, I decided to finally drop by the one in my neighbourhood, The Brew House @ Pandan Indah, for a meal in the first weekend of CNY.  Spanning 3 shoplots, I think they've been opened a good number of years here (I can't remember when exactly but certainly before the pandemic) though I've never visited until now.

To start, we shared the Mushroom & Bacon Soup @ RM13.80 which had only a few tiny bacon bits drizzled with a touch of truffle oil and served with a (not toasted) soft bun.  The soup had a well flavoured mushroom taste but just a wee bit on the watery side.  What was surprising was the inclusion of thin slices of almond to add crunch to the soup (I think some toasted croutons would had been a more successful choice).

My son had the Roast Pork Aglio Olio @ RM18.80.  The spaghetti was supposed to be tossed in garlic, dried chilli flakes, parsley and olive oil (as per the description in the menu) but we found some sliced fresh red chillies (additional to the chilli flakes) and Thai basil (substitute for parsley?) in the mix.

The chunks of roasted pork fared better in terms of taste with the meat adequately seasoned and the skin still lightly crispy.  On the whole, taste-wise, not something that'll leave an impression though.

I went with the Grilled Grain Fed Beef @ RM39.80 as I've not had steak for a while now.  It featured a 200g steak with crispy fries and sauteed vegetables of (probably frozen) corn and peas.

Seeing that this isn't a proper steakhouse per se, I was rather surprised to be asked how I'd like my steak done as I thought it'll be cooked to just one doneness (whichever that might be according to the chef).  So, I gladly said "medium rare" not realising what I'd be presented with later.

When the steak arrived, I was very happy with the size of it before realising just how thin the steak was.  At this thickness (or should I say, thinness), it doesn't make any sense (to me) to ask how I wanted the steak done.  I don't think it's achievable since it can easily overcook due to the thickness or (more precisely) lack of it.  Luckily, it wasn't as the meat was still pinkish in parts.  But the piece of steak was so thin it felt like it had been tenderised/pounded with a mallet....and, in this state, it would (of course) be none other than tender.  Just that it didn't have much of a bite to it being so thin.

The accompanying creamy peppercorn sauce served with the steak was what saved the dish.  That was the best tasting thing on the plate...better than the peppercorn sauce I had with the pork steak previously in SS2 (that one tasted more like a typical black pepper sauce).  This one had cream added to it as evidenced by the lighter-coloured brown sauce.  It was lightly creamy with just enough spicy heat from the peppercorns. Though RM40 might sound very reasonable for a piece of steak these days, I didn't think so because it was such a thin slice + I'd rather add on a bit more money for a proper/thicker piece of steak.

The fruits juices here are a bit pricey and they only have two options, orange or apple.  This Fresh Orange Juice cost RM14.80.

My Personal Opinion

The place and the food didn't endear me the first time round.....and it was the same the second time round! >_<  Though their big portions and reasonable prices (in some of their dishes) might draw the crowd in, I didn't think the steak was all that cheap (for such a thin piece).  It's not that the steak was bad, just that I can think of many other better options I can have with that RM40.

I still think the place is more suited for a chilling or drinking session with some good bar snacks to go along with it.  I went all the way to SS2 to try them out for the first time, you can't say I didn't give them a second chance (now that they're located near me), so I can now safely strike them off from my checklist of places to eat in my neighbourhood.

Having said that, it's not that their food is unpalatable (it has pretty decent reviews), so obviously some people do enjoy their food....I'm just not one of them.  I can think of many more likeable options I'd rather spend RM100 (for two) on! ;P

The Brew House
No 22 Jalan Pandan Indah 4/6
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-4288 3196

8 comments:

  1. Oh I thought it is a nice place with Western food around my wife's office/centre. We have Uncle Don on the right and Brew House on the left of the same street. So convenient and definitely a place for chilling or drinking session with some good bar snacks. I don't give them a 5 star rating but I enjoy snacking on their pizza and fried luncheon meat sticks. The pork burger is very nice to me. I heard that different outlets have different standard of cooking. Let me go explore their branches to test out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe there are some things to enjoy here, especially the snacks, like their salted egg fish skin and luncheon meat sticks. If I'm looking for a place to chill & drink, this could be an option...just not for my main meals.

      Delete
  2. The Brew House appears to be quite popular judging from the rounds it is making in some blogs (with good reviews). I guess for you and I and others who have been exposed to good proper western fare, we would not be happy with the localized version. More so when it comes to steak. We want a proper thick cut done to our preferred doneness - medium rare! Even the spaghetti your son had, I would not be happy. So no to The Brew house for me (and you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and you, we've been spoilt with good steaks that some just don't meet our standards now...lol! They have loyal supporters probably because of their good portions and fair prices (for pork & chicken dishes, beef excluded).

      Delete
  3. The steak really does look better than it should.. I'd probably have the gravy served separately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't mind sauce over not-so-premium steak...it needs it! ^_~

      Delete
  4. Seem like the description in the menu is just for "reference" and subject to change without prior notice. LOL
    I prefer Uncle Don's which has similar concept with The Brew House, interms of environment and food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hate that when restaurants change/substitute ingredients freely (according to what they have). They not matter significantly but it can sometimes change the taste of the dish altogether even if the ingredients are deemed not so important. From what I can see, Uncle Don's environment is at least brighter and more of a family-type restaurant to have meals.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...