Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2021

#ewew cooks Stir-Fried Chinese Leeks with Lap Cheong

The first time I cooked leeks was during Chinese New Year (CNY) earlier this year.  It so happened I was at my neighbourhood supermarket when I noticed the leeks (and if I remember correctly, I think they were from China).

Even though I've never cooked leeks before (I'm the only in my family who likes them, so I usually get them from the chap fan stalls when it's available), I decided to get some since leeks is an auspicious ingredient for CNY.  Cooking this for our reunion dinner with (extended) family, I didn't know I would like it so much.  

So, the other day, when I spotted leeks selling at my neighbourhood wet market, I immediately got myself some as I wanted to cook and eat my Stir-Fried Chinese Leeks with Lap Cheong again.  Even though the leeks I got this time were also from China, they weren't as thick as the ones I bought previously.  The previous ones were much larger and tend to have a longer length of the white parts but they were also more expensive.

The leeks look like a plumped up version of spring onions.  This dish is one of the simplest dishes you can cook.  All you need is just two ingredients.....leeks and lap cheong (Chinese sausage) and a bit of garlic, of course.  It can't get any easier than that! ;)

Cut your leeks diagonally (it's much prettier and more presentable that way)...just the white parts (which also means the lighter green parts).  Now the debate is on whether the (darker) green parts of the leek are edible (more like good enough to eat).  Most said yes, it can be eaten (I'll let you know what I think of that later).

I start by pan-frying the lap cheong slices in some oil first (before adding the chopped garlic)...and that's because I like them slightly caramelised (but that's just me).  The sugar (or sweetness) in the lap cheong helps with the caramelisation and makes it that much more fragrant.

But if you don't like those darkened bits (as I know many people freak out at the sight of them), then put both the lap cheong and garlic in to stir-fry at the same time.

As soon as the garlic browns, add in the sliced leeks....the white parts only! ;)  The leeks should be cooked until the texture still has a light crunch.  That's how I like to eat them.

I don't like to cook it till too soft...so I don't add any water (nor cover my pan) to help it soften.  The frying process itself would soften it naturally.  It should only take a minute or two and I simply seasoned it with a bit of salt.  That's it.....is that too easy or what?  Lol.

I've been hooked on eating this simple dish of Stir-Fried Chinese Leeks with Lap Cheong ever since I first cooked it for CNY.  And the beauty of this stir-fry is that nothing is set in stone!  You don't have to have an exact amount of each ingredient in a stir-fry, you can vary them according to what you like to have more.  In this case, you can use more lap cheong if you want more meat in your dish (here I used one lap cheong to 3 stalks of leeks).

The sweetish-salty flavours of the lap cheong goes really well with the oniony flavour and crunchy texture of the leeks.  Just ensure you get some good quality lap cheong and this one was fragrant with that hint of wine...really good.  Now all you need is rice!  This is typical of those easy to make one-dish meals that I like (and this was the perfect portion for me with a small bowl of rice). ^o^

How do you know if you'll like leeks?  Well, if you're someone who enjoys eating spring onions, garlic chives or even onions, then you'll most probably enjoy leeks too as they all share an almost similar taste profile.  I love them...but I've to say the China leeks I got during CNY were just a tad sweeter and tastier though.  I'm not sure if it was because it's a different variety or because it was the timing when it was grown (nearer to CNY)! ;)

Coming back to the question of whether the green parts can be eaten....well, the answer is yes...but it wouldn't be very tasty (when I included them once)...at least not to me.  The darker green parts I found to be quite stringy and chewy.

The other negative would be that there's quite a bit of dirt and sand trapped in between the green parts, so you have to be extra careful to remove the layers of the leek to wash them thoroughly.  I wouldn't go through all that trouble seeing that it wasn't that nice to eat in the end.

The most common pairing I've eaten leeks with is with siu yuk (I usually find it at chap fan stalls where it's cooked till soft).  You can cook it with waxed meat too.  Or cook it with canned spicy pork cubes it seems (perhaps I can try that next). 

I think I'll stick to eating the best parts only....which are the more delicate white parts! ^.^  For those of you who love leeks and are looking for a simple stir-fry or one-dish meal, this is a good contender.  If you end up liking it as much as I do, you can perhaps cook this for CNY since the dish bears auspicious ingredients of leeks and lap cheong which signifies wealth and long life!  You bet I'll be getting more of the plumper leeks if I see it sold during CNY again. ^_~

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Oops, I wanted to delete my reply to rewrite it again but accidentally deleted your comment instead. Luckily I happen to have another screen opened that still contained your comment, so I copied & pasted it here...sorry!)

      Your comment:
      I just cut many pairs of leeks last week when our gang was cooking food for the charity homes. My wife asked me to cut them for her 3 woks full of chicken wings and drummets in dark soya sauce. I thought leeks was meant to give additional flavour like spring onions. I am surprised you love it as a dish by itself. Of course, lap cheong is my favourite with burnt edges! Yums!

      Next time, I will scoop this leeks dish from Chap Fan stalls to try. Probably scoop some fried lap cheong from separate trays too. I should love them since I am a celery and spring onions fan.

      My reply:
      Yes, we do use leeks (like spring onions) to add more flavour to our dishes but they're also good as a veggie dish on their own. Phiak...to liking burnt edges in lap cheong! ;)

      This dish is not so commonly found at chap fan stalls probably because of the cost factor coz when stir-fried, they wilt down to not much. >_<

      Delete
  2. I happen to love leeks and I love them fried with prawns. Your version with lap cheong is even better especially with the caramelization of the lap cheong - extra flavor! I am betting that if fried with prawns and lap cheong it will be da bomb! hah..hah... I have tried the green parts in soup and since it is tasteless, I don't use that part anymore. By the way, thanks for the link to my old post hee...hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I seldom use leeks in soups. I guess they work in the same way as spring onions as I'd put the white parts only in soups & stews to get better flavours. Wow, frying leeks with both lap cheong and prawns...certainly can but that would mean more protein than vegetables...hah..hah. For prawns, I prefer them stir-fried with asparagus.

      Delete
  3. Regret to say even though I do like to eat onions, I am still not accustomed to the taste of leeks. I find them cho cho one (if you understand hokkien). That's why I ate up all the spicy pork cubes but not the leeks when my mom cooked them.

    I will eat up all your caramelized lap cheongs in your leeks dish lol. Thanks for the link to my blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see you left all the leeks to your mom and ate up all the spicy pork cubes instead. It's good that family members like to eat different things, then each can finish up the parts the other person doesn't like...lol! Like when we have chicken at a family dinner, there'll be someone who finishes up the breast parts.

      Delete
    2. Leek is even better than green onion!

      Delete
  4. I like leek to be cooked with Lap Cheong and I also substituted Lap Cheong with waxed meat (La Rou) if I have any in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I like the sweetish flavours the lap cheong impart into the leeks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...