Pages

Wednesday 28 July 2021

#ewew makes Salads but not Salad Dressings

One of my favourite meals to have is a salad....but not any salad though.  I'm not a big fan of raw salads, at least not 100% raw.  I used to rely on triple washed mixed salad leaves straight out of a packet for my salads but that was before I discovered the deliciousness of roasted or chargrilled vegetables (and for that, I have phonghongbakes to thank).

Since learning how to make grilled vegetables, I'd much prefer to eat my own cooked salads nowadays...or a salad combination of cooked and raw ingredients is fine too (we don't want to be grazing like a goat according to choiyen.com)....lol!

As much as I like to make and eat salads, I don't make my own salad dressings.  Why would I when I can conveniently pour or squeeze out my favoured dressings direct from a bottle...and that dressing is none other than Kewpie dressing, of course.

But if I did make my own salad dressing, it'll probably be the simplest one with olive oil, lemon juice, honey and a little bit of crushed garlic.  Even before I started buying bottled dressings, I would buy those dressings in small packets or get a salad which comes with a packet of dressing inside.  Now that I eat salads more often and prefer my own cooked salads than raw salad leaves, obviously getting bottled dressings make more sense.

The first Kewpie dressing I tried was Kewpie's Roasted Sesame Dressing.  The first time I had it, I really liked it a lot.  Then the overly robust flavours of the roasted sesame got to me and I couldn't bring myself to finish the last bottle I got.

So, I moved on to Kewpie's Thousand Island Dressing.  Now I've always loved Thousand Island dressing as it's the one I'm always drawn to when I find myself at the salad counters of buffets even when there were loads of other dressings I could choose from.

Thousand Island has always been my no. 1 favourite dressing and Kewpie's Thousand Island Dressing is light and tangy and not too sourish or too sweet.

I'm all for anything that's tangy and zesty as I find the dressing stimulates my appetite especially on days when I don't have much of an appetite.

Then I saw this Hellman's Smoky Thousand Island Dressing advertisement on Astro.  Since I love Thousand Island dressing, I thought why not try a different brand.

Hellman's Smoky Thousand Island Dressing
 has a much thicker consistency than Kewpie's and also a more robust and punchy flavour.  Because of this, you can afford to put less dressing otherwise it can be a little cloying if you put too much.

And because this one is smoky Thousand Island, I did get that light smoky taste which differentiates it from Kewpie's.  It's not as light as Kewpie's and I also find it a little sweeter, so go easy on the amount.

One day when I was browsing through the supermarket, I noticed a new roasted sesame dressing, Kewpie's Roasted Sesame Dressing with Yuzu Taste.  This must be their new take on their regular roasted sesame dressing which now comes with yuzu flavour.

After finding Kewpie's Roasted Sesame Dressing too salty for my taste buds (I suppose you could add some honey to balance out the saltiness), I'm glad to say it is now back in favour with me but only the one that says Kewpie's Roasted Sesame Dressing with Yuzu Taste.

That fruity, light tartness of yuzu (I find) cuts through the saltiness of the roasted sesame which makes it appetite inducing and that much more welcoming in taste.

Besides my 'go to' favourite trio of salad dressings, I also have a trio of seasonings that I must have in my pantry at all times and these staples are McCormick's Black Peppercorn Grinder, Sea Salt Grinder and Garlic Pepper Seasoning Grinder (grinder versions only...hehe).

Before they had the grinder version, I used to buy ground black pepper to sprinkle on my mushroom soup or any other types of soup before realising that the black pepper was too fine.  Then I changed to coarse black pepper and found it to be more fragrant and you can actually taste the black pepper coz it's coarse.  Of course they also sold whole black peppercorns which was wonderful coz nothing beats freshly cracked black pepper but it was inconvenient to have to put it into a grinder of our own.

So, when whole peppercorns came packaged together with an all-in grinder, it was ingenious!  The smell of freshly cracked black pepper is just different...and I love the sound of pepper being grinded like it's so authentic...lol.  There's even a setting (three actually) as to how fine you want your black pepper, so you can have it really fine or coarse as you wish.  I've not bought any other bottle ever since.  Yes, I pay a little bit more for this convenience but it's so worth it.  Forget about those bottles of ground black pepper, coarse black pepper or whole black peppercorns....just get this everything-in-one (with grinder function) will suffice! ^_~

The same goes for the sea salt grinder which I like to use this for my western cooking coz it's not as salty as table salt (which I use for Chinese cooking) + it just sounds that much more genuine when you grind it out from a bottle! :D  That way your family or guests also get to tweak the food to the level of saltiness they desire.

The final bottle is just a combination of black pepper, sea salt and garlic (+ red & green bell peppers) that I like to use to season almost anything and everything.  I use them as seasonings for meats, potatoes and vegetables....I sometimes even sprinkle them on fries and fresh salads! ;)

When it comes to the protein component of any salad, nothing beats a freshly roasted, tender and juicy chicken leg.  Of course you'll need to shred or tear out the meat from the chicken leg.

If I don't make roasted chicken, a protein of grilled or pan-fried chicken tenderloin will do just as well too for me.  Some salads are so good on its own, I don't even need a dressing...lol.

The other protein I like to use are sauteed large, juicy, charred prawns but I don't know if that qualifies as a prawn salad....or a prawn dish?  Kekeke!

Of course, bacon is another excellent choice as a protein.

And when you really don't have any protein in your fridge, even potatoes and hard-boiled eggs will do fine too.

For the vegetable component, it's quite obvious (from the photos of my salads) that I tend to use the same few ones which I think work really well in a salad of roasted vegetables and they include broccoli, cauliflower, red & green capsicum (all colours but red is my ultimate favourite because of the sweetness it brings), onions, cherry tomatoes and fresh button mushrooms.

And the best thing is, roasted vegetable salads keep really well as leftovers.  If kept in the fridge, you just need to reheat it in the toaster oven and it'll be as good as new.

When I get tired of cooking, tired of eating my own cooking or don't know what to cook, a salad is what I'd fall back on all the time.  Not only is it easy to make, it's nutritious, it's healthy and it keeps well as leftovers. It's great as a main meal or a side dish to your main meal. ^o^

10 comments:

  1. Kewpie is one of my favorites when it comes to salad dressing. Yet to happen to see the other brand, Hellman, in our supermarket. As salad is light, I must have some proteins in it if not I would go hungry easily after eating it as I am a big eater. Potatoes and hard boiled eggs would make a good alternative too. Sometimes I like to add some raisins to my salad.

    Did you make all those salads shown here? They look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, I did make all those salads shown here (it's an infringement to copy & paste other people's cooked food into my blog without crediting the source). ^_*

      For me, I still go hungry easily (after about 2 hours) after eating a salad even if there's a protein in it (I need carbs!), so I'd usually split my salad into two portions and eat them over two sessions. ^.^

      Delete
  2. As usual, a lengthy post for salad. ^_^
    Just like I've mentioned in my "grazing like a goat" post (I'm really impressed with your memory as myself don't even remember I wrote that before ~>_<~), I'm not really a salad person but due to diet and its flexibility and rather hassle free preparation, I'll have salad as my bento lunch at office at least twice a week.
    Are those salad meals for your family or yourself only? Because I don't think your hubby like salad meal, just like my hubby, unless it is as side for a mains.
    I used to buy the McCormick's Black Peppercorn Grinder, but I found that it's more economical if I buy a grinder and peppercorn separately because the selling price of those all-in-grinder is included, so why not I just buy mine and I can continuously use.
    I like Kewpie sesame sauce too, but really dare not to put too often and usually I eat my salad "kosong" means without any sauce, because the main reason I'll have salad because of diet but creamy sauce like sesame, mayo or thousand island are quite fattening. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, my posts are always lengthy...and I equally like lengthy replies as well. ^_~
      Actually, my memory is not that good but I found your link in one of my previous salad posts, so I included it in this one too.
      Oh, on the contrary, my hubby do eat salads as long as they're roasted and not raw leaves but, of course, a main will make it even better.
      I did try one with my own bought grinder but it didn't work as well (maybe I got a lousy grinder), so I gave up and resorted to the grinder that comes with it (that way I can keep tab on the expiry date too).
      Yeah, I agree that creamy sauces are fattening, that's why it's key to dress your salads lightly. I don't need much (can eat 'kosong' also) but need just a little to amp up the taste! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your colorful salads! It is true that since we can get delicious salad dressings, there is no need to make our own. I have developed an aversion towards the Kewpie Roasted Sesame dressing, I can't explain why. I also tried the one with yuzu but I disliked it. I also tried Kewpie Thousand Island and also did not like it. Haiz! I haven't made roasted vegetables in a while and I might get back to that for my food prep. Can I say that you prefer creamy dressings as opposed to vinaigrette? I like Hellman's Thousand Island the best but their roasted sesame dressing is not good - too strong on the sesame smell. Ah! I also like salt and pepper that come in a grinder! I think I shall make roasted vege salad soon as I am very inspired by this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I thought you loved the roasted sesame dressing...not anymore? Like me, it tasted so good in the beginning but now I've also developed an aversion towards it but, at least, I can eat the yuzu version now but still prefer their Thousand Island which I find it's lighter than Hellman's (I think you prefer more robust sauces). I actually like vinaigrettes more than creamy dressings (not white ones though) but don't know how to make good vinaigrettes (they always end up too sour since I tend to hold back on the sugar/honey at home). >_< Both of us liking salt & pepper grinders means we're too lazy to use our own grinders and prefer the use and discard method! :D Glad to have inspired you to make roasted veggie salads again...hee..hee! ^_*

      Delete
  4. What a delicious post featuring the brilliant ideas to make our own roasted or chargrilled vegetables! I have been eating raw green leafy salads like a goat and was delighted when I rarely chanced on eating roasted or chargrilled vegetables. The last time I guess was eating the platter dish at Morganfield's which had some grilled salad. I thought it was very nice and made me happy but never thought I could try making them at home. I will add chicken meat with assorted vegetables and maybe fruits to make them sweeter! Kewpie thousand island is always available in my fridge. I don't think I will make my own salad sauce as I hardly eat salads though I love them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kewpie Thousand Island dressing you like will lend sweetness already to your grilled salad, no need for fruits. Why don't you surprise your wife and make this roasted vegetable salad for her since it's so easy to do...all you need is olive oil, salt & pepper...and put to roast/grill in the oven...that's it! ;)

      Delete
  5. You know for a long time I thought this brand was from Japan. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't? Then, why is there a Kewpie Corp HQ in Japan (offering more or less the same products on their website)? Perhaps it's some kind of JV to manufacture it here locally? I guess it doesn't matter where it's from as long as it tastes good...lol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...