Pages

Monday 25 June 2018

#ewew tries Vit's Penang Hokkien Mee

There's been little time to eat out...cook....or write blogposts since the FIFA World Cup descended upon us (in mid-June)....and it'll stay that way for the next three weeks...kekeke! :D

Well, that brings me to the subject of this blog post which couldn't have come at a more opportune time since it's something I think will be eaten rather often during this period when hunger pangs strike at midnight or in the early hours of the morning.

Recently, while out grocery shopping, I found this version of Penang Hokkien Mee (by Vit's) @ RM6.50 a packet...with ramen noodles instead of the usual instant egg noodles.  Curious, I bought one to try.  After all, I do love prawn mee (my no. 2 favourite noodle after curry laksa) so much so that even instant-version ones will do.

Inside each packet, there are two separate vacuum-packed ramen noodles and two packets of seasoning paste.

The seasoning paste looks like the real McCoy....a cooked chilli paste with chilli oil and all.

Remove the ramen noodles from the vacuum pack and rinse the noodles under running water to loosen it.

Follow the instructions and measurement (for water) to cook the chilli paste.  Once the paste is well incorporated, add in the noodles to cook...it's looking good! ;)

My bowl of Penang Hokkien Mee is ready....albeit looking a bit sad.

What is prawn mee without the necessary key ingredients, right? ;)

Of fresh, succulent, sweet-tasting prawns....and these were fairly large-sized ones too.

And hard-boiled eggs.....sliced, not quartered.

With kangkung and freshly fried, crispy shallots that I love! ^.^

Now, that's a complete, proper bowl of prawn mee....if I do say so myself.

I really enjoy a good bowl of prawn mee with fresh prawns and crispy shallots in a deliciously robust prawn stock.  I have to say my quality ingredients gave this bowl of instant Penang Hokkien Mee a huge uplift! ^o^

As for the ramen noodles, I didn't like it one bit.  I can't put my finger to it but it had this off-putting taste (like the noodles weren't fresh...but no, it hasn't expired).  They claim the ramen noodles are pre-cooked and vacuum-sealed to retain moisture and stay fresh without refrigeration.

The prawn broth, on the other hand, was pretty alright, although the taste of it could have been slightly 'tainted' by the noodles.

How did I know?  Coz I discarded the ramen noodles and made it again another time (with the balance packet of seasoning) using meehoon instead (from my own pantry stock).  It tasted so much better.

It's a shame really....as the prawn stock of this instant version was pretty good, certainly better than some of the instant versions out there.

But I simply can't pay RM6.50 just for the paste (even if there are two sachets) and use my own noodles, can I?  One, it'll be a waste to throw away the ramen noodles and two, paying RM3.25 for just the paste isn't worth it when I can get a bowl of real prawn mee (with noodles and all) for RM6.50! >_<  Oh well, my search for a good instant prawn mee continues.....

10 comments:

  1. Hola! Another good sharing of instant noodles today. I am really thankful that bloggers like you share everything from good eateries to cooking short cuts and instant noodles too. I agree that the price RM6.50 is pricey if the noodles or ramen is not good enough. I felt cheated the other night before leaving for Hong Kong when I grabbed few brands of cup noodles from 7-Eleven. All were priced below Rm2.50 and were displayed together under same tag label on the shelves. I happily noticed one was a Korean ramen. When I arrived HKG, I saw the receipt that the Korean one costs RM7.70!!! So small cup & robbery! Faints.

    I like the way you cooked and displayed huge prawns, neatly sliced eggs and crispy fresh shallots! Better than Yong Len's anytime. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how I wish I'm given such ingredients in a bowl of prawn mee that I eat outside. It'll be a dream come true...for now I can only get it if I put it in myself....hehe! ;) Actually, some of the instant Korean ramen I've come across in supermarkets here cost that much too.

      Delete
  2. I never picked you as a football fan. Full of surprises :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm the typical football fan as I like to watch the English Premier League only and since the World Cup has many of the EPL stars in it, that's why I'm watching.

      Delete
  3. A football fan, eh? Not me, I don't understand football at all hah..hah... Anyway, you have made the bowl of Hokkien Mee look really good with all the embellishments. Would not have know that it was instant noodles prepped at home :) I remember Maggi has a range of instant koay teow soup many years ago. The koay teow is the fresh type and I had an issue with the taste and smell, just like your experience with this ramen. More R&D needed I think to perfect packing of "fresh" noodles to retain the nice taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I think they need to relook on how fresh noodles are packed to retain the freshness and taste. It's probably easier to pack noodles that are pre-fried or dried.

      Delete
  4. never thought u r a football fan, just like my hubby, never miss any matches included the Premier League >_<
    Wow, u prepared all those condiments before cooking your packet of instant noodles, salute! I've tried many versions instant curry noodle but never on prawn mee, since this one not really recommended by u, so I just skip lor, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so happen had already pre-made fried shallots when I made this. The rest was easy as I had peeled prawns in the freezer and eggs in my pantry. I'm not a 100% football fan like your hubby, I don't watch every match, I only watch teams that have the players and coaches I 'follow'...hihihi! ^_~

      Delete
  5. I’m not a football fan so I don’t have to schedule my meals around the matches - but which team are you rooting for? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be surprised to hear that I don't actually root for one team/country. I watch those matches that have a substantial amount of EPL players playing in them (and England has the most). Even in EPL, I don't root for one club as I have my fav players. I would even follow a club when I have my fav coaches there...kekeke! ^_*

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...