Pages

Tuesday 20 September 2022

Uncle Henry Noodles @ Pandan Indah

Even in my own neighbourhood, I'm slowly discovering some new (and good) eats through food delivery.  Some of them may be new while some are bound to fly under the radar coz there are just so many food stalls in every neighbourhood and we can't very well know them all.

Sometimes I'd even walk pass a stall and not know what they sell (especially when what they offer are not displayed at their stalls in English).  So what better introduction than through food delivery when their menu is displayed for all to see.

This Uncle Henry Noodles @ Pandan Indah was one of them.  They offer duck noodles which is something that's not commonly found in most coffee shops unlike the more common pork noodles, wantan mee, curry noodles, prawn mee, pan mee, char kway teow and such.  So I got myself their Shredded Duck Noodle Soup @ RM11 (via delivery) for my first taste test.

I went with meehoon and the noodles came with shredded duck, pork balls, beancurd sheets, preserved vegetables and a sprinkling of crispy chee yau char (pork lard) and chopped spring onions.  This was clean tasting and really good.

Even better when eaten with their own-made chilli paste.  Their chilli paste condiment looked like some sort of dried chilli paste that some pan mee places offer to sprinkle over your dried pan mee except this one is laced with chilli oil (it's also quite similar to some chilli condiment you get when eating at Hong Kong-style eateries).  It was fiery.....and the bomb! ;)

After enjoying the earlier duck noodles immensely, I went out to get their Shredded Duck Noodle Soup @ RM11 again but with add-on pork intestines (RM5) this time.  The prices quoted here are delivery prices as I can't remember what were the on-site prices when I went out to tapau.

I had it with hor fun (or kway teow) this time though I found their hor fun texture a bit too soft and unable to hold its own as a noodle.  I asked for add-on pork intestines but only realised they were big intestines (which I don't fancy) after I placed my order.  I told the stall owner that I find big intestines too fatty on the inside (and some has an overly pork smell too) and he said that's because they weren't clean thoroughly to remove the fatty bits inside.  He said he will try to give me the tail end of the intestines which have less fatty bits.  Nope, I still don't like big intestines.  The small intestines that I like I was told is called fun cheong (literally translated as powder intestines...maybe because it has some whitish powdery paste on the inside or it's washed with cornflour?).  Well, at least now I can differentiate between small and big intestines by their looks (some intestines may look large by their size/circumference but they're still small intestines but are just multi-layered).

Besides duck noodles, they also offer pork belly noodles (soup or spicy version) and I got the Pork Belly Noodle Soup @ RM10 with add-on pork stomach (RM5) and I had this with yee mee.  This noodle had the same ingredients of the duck noodle with the exception of pork belly slices replacing the shredded duck.

The pork belly was tender but fatty (of course), so I bit off the fatty parts which I don't really fancy.  The texture of the pork stomach slices was cooked a lot softer than I expected it would be.  It's unlike the firmer texture that you'll get in a dish of say bak kut teh or pork stomach pepper soup.

I absolutely loved the taste of the clear soup which had some preserved vegetables in it.  It looks a bit like choy kon (or dried bok choy) except the stems are more greenish and not whitish.  I think this dried preserved vegetable is probably tai tou choy (literally means big head vegetable) which I've seen used to make soups.

After loving their shredded duck noodle soup, I was a bit apprehensive to give their spicy version a try but was encouraged by the stall owner to try as he said many loved it.  So I decided to take a walk on the wild side and went ahead to order the Spicy Shredded Duck Noodle Soup @ RM12 with lai fun (thick rice noodles) as the noodle of choice.

The spiced up soup was probably from the same soup base you get with the duck noodles except with the addition of the dried chilli paste.  They provided extra chilli paste in case you want to spice up your spicy soup further.  I was kinda adventurous that day...you could say that I was flirting with danger and decided to add in half of the extra chilli paste (you can see the difference in the soup in a before and after shot...lol). It was so fiery that my mouth was on fire by the end of the meal...but it was fiery awesome! ^o^

I was glad I gave it a try.  Now I know why many of his customers loved it.  I was afraid to try at first because of a not-so-good experience I had with mala soup that was so numbingly spicy that I never wanted to have it again.  Although this was no where near as numbingly hot as mala, it was still pretty fiery.  Luckily, they were quite generous with the soup, so I still had about half a bowl of extra soup which I could drink since I didn't add extra chilli paste to that one.

I tried all four bowls of noodles with a different noodle choice from meehoon to hor fun, yee mee and finally lai fun.  For me, I enjoyed the lai fun the most with the spicy version and meehoon with the clear soup version.

My Personal Opinion

Duck noodles isn't a common noodle dish we can find in most coffee shops, so I'm pretty happy to have a good one near me.

I will stick to just the shredded duck noodles (both soup and spicy versions) here since I wasn't sold on their pork belly noodle soup nor their add-ons of pork intestines and stomach.  They also offer pork knuckle noodles (soup, spicy and dry versions) if you're fan of fatty, wobbly pork knuckle (I'm not).

For those who want to try their spicy duck noodles but are afraid to, you can always order the soup version first and add a bit of the chilli paste to the soup to see if you can handle the heat.  And if you can, you might just have found yourselves a spicy noodle soup that's worthy of your attention. ^_~

Uncle Henry Noodles @ KW Restaurant
No 1G Jalan Pandan Indah 4/6A
Pandan Indah
55100 Kuala Lumpur

10 comments:

  1. Ah! Who doesn't love a good bowl of noodle soup? I had a really good herbal duck noodle soup in SS2 ages ago and subsequent to that was unable to find anymore stalls selling that. I can still enjoy such soups as some restaurants offer options without noodles woohoo! Aren't you so lucky to have a stall selling duck noodles near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, herbal duck noodles are usually served with a whole duck drumstick but I prefer this clear soup base over a herbal based one.

      Delete
  2. You had too much ingredients in your bowl until I can't see your noodles, LOL! I saw a similar noodle stall in a kopitiam which stated "Dai Tao Choy" in their noodle's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so I was right....that green preserved vegetable is indeed tai tou choy. I like the taste of the soup with it.

      Delete
  3. I want some of those chili paste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this spicy chilli paste very ngam you since you're one who enjoys malat flavours.

      Delete
  4. This shredded duck noodle soup looks delicious. I have not tried it before but my dietician advised me to skip duck meat during this long recovery period. He says duck meat is as toxic as yam! Adoi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PH probably won't agree with you that duck meat is toxic (since she supports the eating of all animal products) and I wouldn't think yam is either since they're high in fibre and helps control sugar levels but it's best to follow your doctor's advice (who knows what's best for you) since he prescribed you a low-fibre diet during your recovery process.

      Delete
  5. For some reason, Uncle Henry is a very endearing name to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...must be a well loved relative of yours with the same name. ^_~

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...