Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2022

Nasi Lemak Tanglin @ Jalan Tun Perak

When I was reminded by phonghongbakes that a Nasi Lemak Tanglin (original recipe since 1948) opened up near her, I was reminded of just how much I've missed eating their impressive nasi lemak.  So, I was elated when I found them on ShopeeFood recently (and I was not out of distance for them to reach me...yay!).

The branch I first ate at was at their original outlet in Jalan Cenderasari.....and this outlet is well known to be perpetually crowded all the time (I witnessed that myself when I was there).  So, not wanting to be in an overly crowded place (in these post-pandemic times) and having to queue but still with a desire to eat it, delivery is the next best option.  I tekan tekan (press) my phone to order from the Jalan Cenderasari branch and noted that delivery was RM8 (haiya, I still have to pay RM3 after offsetting a RM5 delivery discount).  I'm quite kedekut (stingy) when it comes to paying for delivery coz I'd always add that charge to my food (in my head) and find that it becomes no longer worth it especially if you order for one person only! >.<

Just as I was about to confirm my order, I decided to click on the restaurant's info button and found that they have a third branch (the second one is in Bukit Damansara as informed by my blogger friend) in the city centre at Jalan Tun Perak (and, guess what, the delivery fee is cheaper at only RM6).  Nasib baik I belum tekan (luckily I've not confirmed) my order yet...hehe!

So, I quickly changed and confirmed my order with Nasi Lemak Tanglin @ Jalan Tun Perak and got myself the Nasi Lemak + Daging @ RM13.50.  This, incidentally, was what we wanted to try when we visited the Jalan Cenderasari outlet the first time but it ran out when we got there late morning.

Their daging is actually beef rendang lah....and they gave two good-sized chunks of it (if you're not a big-eater, one chunk is more than enough for breakfast, so you might want to share your other chunk). ^_~  When I had to ply it apart with my fork and spoon, I thought...oh oh....it must be tough.  Surprisingly it wasn't.  It was still fairly tender but not to the extent of fall apart tender as some would prefer.  The rendang flavours however were spot on. ^.^

As for the sambal, it was difficult to ascertain the flavour on its own as it was mixed in with all the rendang sauce already.  All I know is that it didn't feel spicy at all (and based on my previous review, the sambal was lightly sweet but more savoury).  The rice tasted even more delicious with all the sambal and rendang sauce all mixed together (eat it like nasi kandar style...lol).  Though it was just a tad salty for me (should be fine for others), I still enjoyed it overall.

If you're someone who always feels that some nasi lemak vendors are too stingy with ikan bilis (fried anchovies) and nuts, you certainly won't have cause for complaint here.  They were so abundant, it was too much for me.  They were big ones, not necessarily good quality though (coz I can see the strip than runs through the ikan bilis is black, not white) but at least they were crunchy and not hard.

In order to be eligible for the RM5 off discount voucher for the delivery fee (that I bought), my total order had to be at least RM15, so I went with a second pack of Nasi Lemak + Telur Bali @ RM7.90 (might as well satisfy myself cukup-cukup, eh?).  With that, I also got a RM4 discount off the food.

What is this telur Bali you might ask?  Well, I was wondering the same thing myself too....egg from Bali? Kekeke!  Anyway, it looked like a crumbed (and fried) hard-boiled egg cooked in sambal...but tasted no different from any sambal-cooked hard-boiled egg (except this one had a slightly firmer bite)...just the name sounding a bit more intriguing, that's all.

This packet of nasi lemak however tasted a lot more spicier than the earlier one with beef rendang.  Not sure if it's because they gave a lot more sambal for this (than the one with rendang) or the spiciness was from the sambal in the telur Bali.  Definitely preferred the one with beef rendang.

One thing that caught me by surprise was just how hefty the portions were although I did manage to finish my packet for breakfast, I'd rather have a smaller breakfast portion at a lower price.  I remember the serving portions to be really small when I dined in at their outlet (and even commented in my earlier review) that one might need two plates to be fully satisfied.  Then again, the dine-in prices (then) were also a lot cheaper than the delivery prices (now).  So, be warned that the big portion sizes are more suitable for lunch rather than breakfast.

After such a heavy breakfast, I could barely finish my second packet for lunch.  When a nasi lemak comes served on a banana leaf, I keep my portion for later along with the banana leaf.  There's no throwing away a banana leaf for the aroma it lends to the food (perceived or otherwise...haha) + food always seem less oily when it rests on a banana leaf (like banana leaf rice), don't you think? ;D

My Personal Opinion

Tanglin's nasi lemak is still one of my favourites although I don't eat it often enough because of the location but now that it's on ShopeeFood, that could be a different story.

Although overall the food is a tad salty for me, I'm sure others would be ok with its more robust flavours.  My favourite is still the sotong (squid) but the daging is good too especially the rendang flavours.  An add-on telur Bali could offer something different from the standard hard-boiled egg.

Other nasi lemak choices include ayam Bali, ayam gulai, ayam goreng (fried chicken), kerang (cockles), paru (cow lungs) and limpa (cow spleen) if you prefer these options.  They also offer some noodle dishes, lauk and Nasi Padang (for lunch on weekdays).

This is certainly worthy to be in my saved list on ShopeeFood for nasi lemak (along with Mak Su Corner) even if the flavours are a bit robust but since it's good, I'll see past that.....but I think I'll need to order this for lunch and not breakfast! ^o^

Nasi Lemak Tanglin
10 Jalan Tun Perak
City Centre
50050 Kuala Lumpur

8 comments:

  1. I just had Nasi Lemak bungkus and sourdough avocado for my breakfast this morning. This Nasi Lemak Tanglin looks very yummy and fantastic!!! I won't mind paying for delivery when my petrol, tolls and parking costs more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be within delivery distance from this Damansara outlet, I think. Ooo, I would like an avocado sourdough for breakfast too. ^.^

      Delete
  2. Such a glowing review, I feel like heading out to the one at Damansara Uptown pronto! But I wonder if the standard is consistent, hopefully so. Ah, I like big portions leh! I would definitely go for daging and also paru. They are available on Grabfood, so I may just order this weekend hee...hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if the standard is consistent coz I did read some comments from people who dined at the Uptown branch that they think the original outlet is better. >.< Well, let's hope for the best (for you)...hehe! ;)

      Delete
  3. This portion is ngam ngam for my breakfast, perhaps add one more dish for it. I can eat a lot for breakfast, hehe :P
    I think most of the ikan bilis in your packet of NL will be discarded for me as I can't stand uncleaned ikan bilis. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you surely have a good appetite for breakfast. Big portion of nasi lemak but yet you may want to add one more lauk...lol! Oh, the ikan bilis have been cleaned and gutted, the black strip I'm referring to is on the surface of the ikan bilis which indicates the quality isn't the best.

      Delete
  4. So old school, I noticed they opened up a branch at Uptown too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, memang old-school...especially if you eat in their original outlet but this Uptown branch should be more "atas" lah...hehe! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...