Pages

Sunday 5 June 2022

Mak Su Corner @ Taman Shamelin Perkasa

Oh, how I've missed nasi lemak during the Puasa month.  Ya, you still can get it in the evenings but going out to the Ramadan Bazaar wasn't something I was comfortable doing seeing that it would be super crowded.

Moreover, eating nasi lemak in the evenings is just not the same as eating it in the mornings.....it's the breakfast of champions (lol) as far as many Malaysians are concerned!

Now that Raya is over, the nasi lemak stalls and shops are back in business and I can satisfy my weekly cravings for nasi lemak.  And one new shop or stall I tried was this Mak Su Corner @ Taman Shamelin Perkasa on ShopeeFood.

For my first sampling, I got two orders of nasi lemak to try starting with the plain nasi lemak or what we call Nasi Lemak Biasa (or Kosong) @ RM2.90.  Eating a plain nasi lemak is always the best introduction into how good a shop's nasi lemak is as there's no where to hide...they have to nail two key components and that's the rice and the sambal.

Let's start with the nasi (or rice).  Although the rice was not particularly lemak with the taste of santan (coconut milk), I liked that it was nicely cooked with the grains well separated and fluffy.  The rice was of a fairly good quality with almost no (or very little) broken grains.  But it doesn't always come with a banana leaf underneath though.

The sambal (packed separately) was one of the few nasi lemak sambal I've eaten that's more spicy than sweet but not too spicy overall.  It's also slightly more watery than some of the ones I've had but certainly not watered down in taste.  The ikan bilis (fried anchovies) were fragrant, just that it was a little hard and not super crispy, but no kacang (not that I mind).

Of course I had to get the Nasi Lemak Sotong (Squid) @ RM7.90 since sotong sambal is always my no. 1 favorite lauk when it comes to nasi lemak.  I have to say they gave a very sizeable portion of the sotong.  It was tender and utterly delicious.  It has to be good (coz when I checked later, the sotong was the first to run out!).

The sotong sambal was good enough for two portions of nasi.  What you see in the box (earlier) was just half of the sotong which was sufficient since the portion of rice was rather small.  I suppose the small portion is ok for breakfast since we'd usually don't want something too heavy in the morning (though some might disagree...hehe) but for lunch you might want to double up on the rice.

The sambal for the nasi lemak is spicier than the sotong sambal.  I liked the taste of the sotong sambal more as it had a slightly sweeter note.  This packet of nasi also came with another packet of sambal as if we didn't have enough sambal already with the sotong sambal...kekeke.  This is surely one place you don't need to ask for more sambal as one portion of sambal (or sambal sotong) is sufficient for two packs of nasi lemak each (so you could say I had enough sambal for 6 packs of nasi lemak...lol!).

Next, I got the Nasi Lemak Kerang (Cockles) @ RM7.90 to try.  Again, both the sambal and kerang were packed separately.  The sambal kerang was nice too with medium-sized cockles, not too spicy with a hint of sweetness.

In comparison, the portion of sambal kerang was slightly lesser than the sambal sotong but still good enough for two packets of nasi lemak (if you're not too greedy).

During my second round of orders, the nasi lemak came laid on top of a piece of banana leaf.  Ah, good...extra aroma from the banana leaves! ;)  Not only that but it came with timun (cucumbers) as well this round.

For my third delivery, I got the Nasi Lemak Ayam Rendang @ RM7.90 and this time the packaging was the least impressive (it came in those el cheapo plastic packaging that I dislike so much and there was no banana leaf either).

I really hate this el cheapo plastic box as it's difficult to eat out from + I need to attack the ayam rendang with a fork and spoon, so I had to pour it out onto a plate.  This packaging also cannot withstand heat, so (if your food is hot) your hands won't be able to hold onto the box.  Sometimes when I tapau Malay rice (and they use this type of plastic box) and the rice is super hot, they have to give us a plate to rest the box on otherwise the rice box is just too hot to hold onto with our hands.

I left a remark on my ShopeeFood order....tolong bagi drumstick, boleh? :D  And I got what I asked for.  For some reason, when it comes to chicken that's cooked till tender, I somehow prefer drumstick to thigh coz I feel geli eating the fat on the thigh and skin (if it's fried till crispy, then it's a different story-lah).  This ayam rendang was cooked till tender and the flavours of the rendang sauce was spot on.  Would I have liked the chicken to be cooked even softer?  Sure.

Besides nasi lemak, they also have nasi kukus ayam dara, nasi ayam & ikan keli penyet and nasi briyani with different lauk on their menu but I've never tried since these are offered only later in the day and not in the mornings when I want to have my nasi lemak.

My Personal Opinion

Although roadside nasi lemak stalls can be found abundantly in any housing area, this one will be saved into my ShopeeFood favourite list for those days when I'm too lazy to drive out to tapau from the stalls.

Not only does it taste good, I like their clean and environment-friendly paper-type packaging too (when that's available).  This certainly puts some restaurants to shame who charges over RM10 for a box of food but yet pack them in cheap plastic packaging.  Only downside is that they can be a little inconsistent with their packaging depending what's available (sometimes paper box, sometimes cheap plastic box, sometimes no banana leaf and sometimes no timun).

A more than decent nasi lemak with nice packaging and the prices are very reasonable too (after taking into account discount vouchers from ShopeeFood).  There'll be repeat orders in future, for sure.

Mak Su Corner
1 Jalan 11/91
Taman Shamelin Perkasa
56100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 017-351 5172

5 comments:

  1. When I saw the first photo, I thought that their paper box is so nice. I also dislike those plastic ones especially those type where the bottom has ridges. All the sambal will get stuck to it hah..hah... I like nasi lemak plain and simple (although I do add extra protein heh..heh...), just a good sambal and a hard boiled egg and I am happy. It looks like Mak Su Corner's nasi is good (though not so lemak) with well separated fluffy rice and a sambal that got your seal of approval!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I also like plain nasi lemak the most. That's why I like those small pre-packed nasi lemak bungkus where you get rice, sambal and hard-boiled egg (1/4 egg only, sometimes even 1/8!)....lol! A good sambal and I'm good to go.

      Delete
  2. I like my Nasi Lemak with many dishes and enjoy the multitude of textures when I mix all the meat, rice and sambal and have it in a mouthful. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less than RM 8 for sotong, that's great price for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to tapao Nasi Lemak back to eat at home. They looked messy when I poured to my plate. Since then I preferred to eat on the spot at the restaurant because it's warm and no washing needed! Haha

    I am also into using recycled boxes! Kudos to this seller.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...