Pages

Thursday 6 February 2020

It's going to be a squeaky new year ahead.....

It's the start of a squeaky new year as the Year of the Rat descends upon us.  Could this be Cookie's favourite year? ;)  Well, some of us could end up living like rats (!) this year....fighting for scraps amidst already weakened business conditions (now made worse by the coronavirus outbreak)...or scavenging for food with miserly salaries (that don't seem to go up in tandem with rising prices of goods and services).

A tell-tale sign I noticed was probably just how quiet the shopping malls and supermarkets (even wet markets) were ahead of Chinese New Year (CNY) when I was doing my shopping with literally no queue at the cashiers' counters (even during the week prior to CNY).

reunion makan at home is obviously the most cost-saving option + the chaotic scenes at restaurants is a deterrent to eat out on the eve of CNY.  I hear of restaurants running two shifts (some even three...yikes!) for CNY eve to maximise profits, so you have to be on time, eat gobble down the food and then leave get chased off discreetly and politely. :D

Similar to last year, we had a reunion at home (in KL) this year so that my mother-in-law could join us from the elderly care facility.  It was a reunion lunch (instead of dinner) as one of my sisters-in-law has a reunion dinner engagement with her husband's family.  So, what dishes can you spot on our reunion table?  I'll let you in on them in another post.

So, after a full lunch, dinner was just the three of us....a simple dinner of braised pork ribs with mushrooms, abalone & dried scallops (which I made earlier for my next door neighbour and hairdresser), nothing elaborate.  I added a minced pork omelette and a plate of stir-fried greens (kai lan) coz we weren't keen on eating the leftovers (of what I cooked for our earlier reunion lunch that day) so soon.

And with every CNY, there'll be some eating in interspersed with some eating out (of course) but that will be another story for another day.

What is CNY without festive snacks, right?  But nope, I didn't bake any, fry any...nor buy any this year.

But before you give me a deserving pat on my back, I couldn't resist the temptation of buying my once-a-year snack...ah, my favourite chicken logo! ^.^  Bak kwa (dried meat) this year retailed at RM115 a kilo (up from RM109 last year...would there be any other outcome than up!).

Unlike last year, the chilli bak kwa this year is vacuum-packed individually.  I don't like this kind of packaging as there's a tendency for the oil to stick between the packaging.  Also, if I were to nitpick, the packaging for each individual piece of bak kwa adds to the overall weight and you tend to lose one piece for every 300g. Not only that, with digital measurement, if the weight goes slightly above your intended purchase weight, you get charged for every single gram that passes your order weight (but they conveniently forget about the extra weight caused by the packaging)! >_<

Even though I don't really need to buy any festive snacks coz, in the spirit of giving and receiving, I'd still end up receiving snacks every year...and this year I got crab stick crackers, mini crispy prawn rolls, bee hive crackers, seaweed crackers, bak kwa, chicken floss, pineapple tarts, cookies and cashew nuts from friends and family.  Let me highlight just two of them.

Homemade bak kwa (and chicken floss) from my neighbour's daughter who returned from Australia for the holidays (made by a friend of hers, not her).

A sister-in-law gifted me this one in very nice packaging with three different types of goodies.  I prefer a variety of goodies in small amounts for obvious reasons...to promote less eating + we won't get sick of eating too much of the same thing.

As for the spirit of giving, I went with gifts of Mandarin oranges this year coz all the snacks weren't very exciting, the same old same old ones.  I saw that Ikea offered a packaged deal for their Mandarins together with a nice-looking basket (at just under RM50), so I opted for them.  I bought all 3 colours of blue, red & white (I kept the blue one for myself).  They're great for storing oranges during CNY and can double up as a carrier for my packed food after that.

At just under RM20, I got these cute-looking packets of Mandarin oranges sold by Aeon.  Each auspicious wu shou lou (bearded man) bears 3 oranges.  Yeah, they may seem more expensive than buying mandarins in boxes but you can't deny that the nice packaging makes them ideal giveaways for CNY.

Also in the spirit of giving and receiving is the tradition of giving and receiving angpows.  So, these were some of the angpow packets that came my way this year.

The best ones were these from Dolly (a clothing brand) in my opinion.  Comes in a packet-of-six where all six designs were different and very colourful too.  Not only that but the print design was embossed on glossy, thick, quality paper.  This one is a keeper (sayang to use it-lah).

Caring chose to go with the rat design...four different rat designs to be precise.  Not particularly a pretty-looking graphic interpretation of rats though.

This one by Affin Hwang (an asset management company), the texture of the packet felt regal, almost silk-like.  Different from the usual paper-type packets for sure.

Ikea also went with the rat design.  The angpow packet design I got turned out to be a different one from what was seen in their print adverts.  Hmmm, strange...a mix-up, perhaps.

OCBC's theme focussed on environment this year with 3 designs calling for the preservation of earth's precious resources.

And in a case of east-meets-west, even Mickey Mouse wants to get into some kung hei fatt choy action.  It was surprising to see even Family Mart giving out angpow packets.

Cookie: Well, I didn't get any angpow this year (or any other year) but I did get a new collar.  You get new clothes, I get new collars.  Let me tilt my head up for you.  Can you see my shiny blue collar with its sparkly green bell?

How do I look? ^_~

What the......??  Yeah, I know this is the year of the rat.....but that doesn't mean I need more rat toys, mommy.

And yes, I do remember rats were my favourite toys when I was little...but I'm all grown up  now...big boy already....and big boys don't play with toys! :P

Haiz, how fast they all grow up!  I remember the time when he would bat and chase the rat (toys) all over the house like it was just yesterday. :'(

A little update: Since going into 'retirement' mode, I've been encouraged by the few first-time comments left by some readers of mine...and of their appreciation for my 'work'.  Knowing that they found my reviews to be useful in some way and their hope for new write-ups (however infrequent) gives me just that little bit of motivation to continue writing even if the posts are few and far between.

Looking back, I've enjoyed the last two months of 'freedom'....of writing when I want, without a prescribed schedule, and putting out 1 - 3 posts a month doesn't seem too burdensome...I think I can manage that.  So I guess I'll continue that way (while still enjoying my 'semi-retirement'...and my coffee) and see how far that takes me.  Looks like I can't stay away from blogging altogether after all! :P  Well, I know of 'someone' who will be thrilled with this arrangement as he's not about to give up on his 15 minutes of fame yet! :D :D

12 comments:

  1. oh man I just finished my bakwa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, not a problem...this (used to be) once-a-year snack is now available all year round. Time to get some more! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh! Cookie! How I miss you! hee..hee... Cookie was the highlight of this post for me and I particularly love the first photo of him, somehow at that angle he looks even cuter and handsomer than ever! I must say that his mouse toy is so cute as well hee..hee...

    I think a reunion lunch is a very good option and best of all, held at home. I honestly did not like the atmosphere at the restaurant on the eve and should my parents decide to come over again next year, I'd like to host the dinner (or maybe lunch!) at home.

    OK, let me figure out what was on (I am assuming) your dining table - roasted chicken wingettes, chicken drummets, pork rib curry, stewed duck (?), fried noodles, prawns, vegetarian dish (?)and a partially hidden yee sang. Betul tak?

    Wah..so nice you cooked a dish for your neighbor! It looks delicious, of course lah, pork ribs with mushrooms, abalone and scallops hee..hee...

    The only snacks I made were ngaku and cookies and I did get some muruku/cookies/bak kwa which I brought to office to share (except for the bak kwa). This year, even my brother did not buy that many snacks.

    Those ang pows you got from Dolly are really beautiful. I only got those from the banks and I did not bother with Public Bank because every year their ang pow is very ugly (but their share price very nice hah..hah...).

    Well, CNY will be over this Saturday and life goes on.... I am glad that your blogging mojo has been spurred by first time comments from your readers. So keep blogging, no matter how frequent or infrequent and you know you have a fan in me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Cookie will be delighted to know that you loved the first photo of him. But then again, he probably thinks he looks handsome in any photo...kekeke! ;D

      Are you sure you want to host the makan and do all that cooking and washing? You might regret what you said later...hahaha! For me, it's easier when each of us contribute some dishes (distribute the cooking).

      It was my sister-in-law's dining table actually. I can tell you that you got 5 out of 8 correct...good job! ;) To find out which ones you got wrong, you'll have to wait for my post...muahahahaha! :D

      It's part of giving and receiving. They (and their children) always give us gifts of food from their many travels and it's only right we reciprocate.

      I see (even from the comment above yours) that bak kwa is not meant to be shared...wuahahahaha! ;D

      I think angpows from most of the banks are pretty ugly (especially HLB). The exception are those from foreign banks.

      My dear, you've always been a true fan...and I really appreciate it (especially your long...and sincere comments). These first time comments made me realise what I wrote was helpful in some way and that gives me just that little 'push' to persevere and continue.

      Delete
  3. It's not too late to wish you Gong Xi Fa Cai and may the Year of Rat bring abundance of health and wealth to you & family.
    I didn't receive much Ang Pow packets this year and yours look very pretty.
    When you mentioned about homemade meat floss, it reminded me of my homemade meat floss which went moldy within a week time ~>_<~ (I forgot that I've read that the meat floss need to be kept in fridge)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't receive many angpow packets is good (other than the ones from banks)...it means you saved money and didn't spend much on shopping...hahaha! :D

      I've never known that meat floss needs to be kept in a fridge. I usually just keep them on the table (along with bak kwa) and they've never turn moldy before. I received some homemade floss this year before CNY and it's still good until now...but I make sure I use a clean spoon to scoop them out onto a plate and not use my bare (and dirtied) hands. Something must have tainted your floss...either from saliva, dirty hands or utensils! >_<

      Delete
  4. LOLOL! I think I also enjoyed a long freedom which was unplanned. I hope to be back to blogging now.

    So many things had happened including the Coronavirus Scare that made me tear up my trip to China on Chinese New Year. I learnt very painful and costly lessons.

    Suddenly we had open house, at last minute! My wife cooked up a banquet of Thai food and fed so many guests from sunrise to sunset. I didn't have enough ang pow notes and found relief to change them from the Indian Money Changer when I returned the Chinese Renminbi notes. He was happy to give me RM800 of ten ringgit notes on CNY eve. Next time I don't need to queue up at the banks again.

    I looked at your very beautiful red packets with greatest envy as I gave away all my red packets thinking that I would not be spending CNY here. Muahahaha

    I love the poses of Cookie in the photos. He is so handsome with the innocent look! I am sure he is happy with the new collar. I saw someone's cat wore a collar with fake diamonds which reminded me of The Aristocats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you took as long a break as me! ;)

      Oh, sorry to hear of your cancelled travel plans...but better be safe than sorry. Weren't you entitled to a refund for your cancellation?

      Glad to hear you still had a very good time during CNY in KL for a change instead of travelling. I'm sure your friends & family had a great time being feasted by your wife's marvellous cooking.

      I'm sure Cookie will be very happy to hear that you adored his poses. He says...it takes a lot of 'work' and 'practice', you know...hehehe! ^_~

      Delete
  5. only four more years till the year of the cat (in the vietnamese zodiac) - so we'll count it as cookie's year then! :D those ang pows certainly are beautifully designed - i'd be happy to give or receive any of them, heheh (i actually kinda like Caring's design, from your pics) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?...there's a year of the cat in the Vietnamese zodiac? Oh, I see...they have that instead of the year of the rabbit. Now Cookie probably wants to migrate to Vietnam...kekeke! :D I'd be happier receiving than giving...wuahahahaha! :D

      Delete
  6. I've noticed a quiteness around the city too. Can't be good for businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame really...even some of the good ones can't stay afloat.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...