Pages

Monday 18 March 2019

#ewew tries Indomie Salted Egg Noodles

Indomie is a very popular brand of instant noodles from Indonesia and some variations can be found in our Malaysian supermarkets as well.  Indomie Mi Goreng is probably one of the best known and most frequently eaten here.

I was recently given this Indomie Salted Egg Noodles bought directly from Indonesia to try.  Well, salted egg is like the 'in' flavour these days.  It's found on everything and anything....from salted egg yolk croissant to salted egg fried rice, salted egg squid or prawns, salted egg chips, salted egg pasta, salted egg buns, salted egg fries, you name it...they have it.  So, why not on instant noodles, right? ;)

On opening the packet, there were two sachets of seasoning, one contained the salted egg granules/powder together with ground chilli powder while the other sachet held some kind of dark sauce.

The noodles, at first glance, looked a lot flatter and wider than say our usual Maggi instant egg noodles that we get here.

The instructions said to boil the noodles for two minutes (not the usual three) before tossing into the flavoured seasoning.

I made sure I cooked it according to the instructions.  And then, toss, toss, mix, mix...and it's ready for eating! ^_~

My first mouthful of the noodles, I found the texture too soft even though I followed the cooking instructions to the tee and boiled the noodles for just two minutes.

Next, did I taste the salted egg in the noodles?  Hardly More like no.  I did smell it initially in the salted egg granules when I brought it close to my nose.

I also didn't quite like the flavour of the dark sauce the noodles were tossed in.  I'm not sure what went into the flavouring of the dark sauce (perhaps a combination of dark soy, light soy, maybe oyster, hoisin or some salted bean paste sauce?) but somehow the combination of flavours didn't work.

Eaten as a whole, the noodles felt starchy and lacked the flavour of salted egg.  I wonder if it was the salted egg powder that made the noodles have this starchy and sticky mouthfeel (as salted egg tends to be).

In the end, I may love all many things salted egg but I guess Indomie Salted Egg Noodles won't be one of them...or perhaps this one just didn't cut it! :P

12 comments:

  1. I always loved Indomie for being something different in taste and texture. I think the salted egg flavour is not easy to pack 'instantly' as it needs to be cooked or fried fresh. Somehow the salted egg fish skins are very delicious. I have to miss this noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I love salted egg fish skin too. I think you're right about salted egg flavour being not easy to replicate in an instant version.

      Delete
  2. I don't like it either, very dry and the salted egg flavour is too subtle >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I saw a similar flavored instant noodle recently but I did not pay attention. Some products that claim to have salted egg flavor don't taste like it at all like one brand of potato chips that I tried. It was just ordinary. I guess you'll just have to buy salted egg to add to the other 2 packets of noodles hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I don't have to eat the other two coz we ate one packet each...hihi! ;)

      Delete
  4. ooo, i haven't had indomie in ages (though i used to love instant noodles, all the way till my mid-twenties) - i hadn't heard of instant noodles having a salted egg flavour, but i guess it makes sense! i'd certainly be interested to try - though then again, my last excited encounter with a salted egg novelty was mcdonald's current promotion - and it's, ermmmmmmm ... well, seemingly less salted egg than mustard-mayo and rotten-egg .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I heard about how this 'promotion' didn't taste like salted egg at all, so I didn't want to try. >_<

      Delete
  5. The salted egg craze really doesn't seem to be slowing down does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope...and I'm glad it's not slowing down :)

      Delete
  6. Was tempted to try this too, but so far been seeing only negative reviews about it. :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...