Pages

Monday 28 August 2017

Just One Food - Indian Snacks

In our annual trips to Church of St Anne in Port Klang for St Anne's Feast, I would always visit the snack stalls after mass and my last trip here was no different.

I would always seek out my favourite snack, an Indian fried fritter known as pakora, while I'm here.

You can refer to my previous post for a more detailed write-up on this super addictive snack.

So, we went looking for the same stall we've been buying from all these years and proceeded with our purchase (still selling at RM3 a packet).  I remember them being next to a drink stall previously but this year they seem to be located next to another snack stall.

After we bought our packet, we glanced towards the next stall and were greeted by pakoras that looked even better (as in crispier) visually.

When confronted with such a sight, we couldn't resist buying another packet (this stall sells theirs at RM2 a packet but the portion size is smaller).  Popped one immediately into my mouth and I soon realised that this one tasted way better...more fragrant and crispy! ^o^

No wonder they were doing such brisk business.  Everyone was buying multiple packets...I want, I want, I want to buy more packets too! :P

But I had to control myself from over-indulging, so I bought just one extra packet.  These were so crispy and were less dense than the other one.  The puffed up batter yielded more crispy edges....they were so good eaten there and then.  But, no worries, you can also take the balance home (if there's any balance, that is) and crisp them up later in the toaster oven.  Well, no prizes for guessing which stall I'll be buying from next year.....wuahahahaha! ;D

While here, my eyes also glanced over to the stall next to them.  It was a stall selling all kinds of Indian snacks and sweets.

I don't eat Indian sweets, so my eyes were (obviously) focussed on their crispy snacks......of muruku!  Muruku comes in all shapes and sizes, thick and thin.

And my favourite are the super thin ones....even better if it's "muruku campuran" or mixed muruku with nuts in them :)

Not only do they taste nice, they make them so colourful as well.  I especially adore the yellow, red and green-coloured flour crisps (I don't know what they're called actually) as they're super crunchy.

And, finally, the two types of nuts...peanuts (with skins on) and the other whitish-looking nut (I googled and found out they're referred to as "kacang gulabi").  You can find them in kacang putih stalls where they've been fried and sold (sometimes) with brown-coloured skins on or without skins.  I don't know what they're called in English though they also look rather like "kacang dhal" (yellow split peas) and "kacang kuda" (chickpeas).  I absolutely love them (but only if they're skinless) and they make the overall mix even more fragrant....the more, the yummier! ;)

10 comments:

  1. I am not very familiar with the Indian snacks which are colourful and sometimes tasty too. I only know muruku by hard since young and those sweet cakes that tasty milk and very sweet. They are good for tea time and to munch as TV snacks. I must try this Pakora and it surprises me that you could still find the same stall over the years.
    So far I only bought the Indian snacks sold at Lotus @ Jalan Gasing as I know this nice family that owns the entire Lotus chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with Indian snacks either...but these two that I know, I'll indulge in them from time to time :)

      Delete
  2. Here's hoping this particular pakora purveyor will still be there next year for your munching pleasure! Sounds like they've really mastered their craft through skill and experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been around for so many years, I believe they'll be around a few more...for my munching pleasure! ;)

      Delete
  3. Ok, now u make me so curious wanna try this pakora, but where to find ler? >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't know...perhaps in places like Brickfields? ^_~

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, Indian snacks are wonderful! They are so savory and so moreish. I can go through a whole bag of Indian mixed muruku in one sitting and that's why I don't buy them! There is an Indian man selling these snacks near my office (unfortunately no pakoras) in front of Maybank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how convenient (or inconvenient for you)...addictive snacks luring you at your doorstep! ^_*

      Delete
  5. I love the colours and shapes of Indian snacks and sweets. I don't enjoy them too often, however, as I'm not a fan of things that are deep fried or items that are too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of things deep fried (so crunchy and addictive) but not things that are too sweet (that's why I don't eat Indian sweets at all).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...